12 - Thursday, November 19

Start from the beginning

The group's impudent mirth evaporated under the weight of the teacher's admonition, replaced by stolen glances and masked disdain. Yet, when Olivia's gaze collided with mine, a shift occurred—a momentary hesitation that softened her countenance before she averted her eyes, yielding to the persistent chorus of laughter that swelled once more.

"What are they doing here?" I asked. "And Olivia?"

A roll of Alex's eyes accompanied her response. "Those five have been spending their afternoons in detentions with the principal all week now. He was busy today, so he sent them here, and I swear I've never felt so compelled to duct-tape someone's mouth shut. It's like dealing with a group of parrots."

Sophia chimed in. "Yeah, they're kinda unbearable with their fourth-grader insults. Miss, if you're scared for your job, just give me the duct tape, and I'll take the fall."

Perplexity coiled around my thoughts like a silent serpent as I sought to decipher this unexpected confluence. "Why are they here?" I persisted.

"I heard they got caught smoking in the bathroom and drawing on the walls, or something like that," Sophia said. "They've been acting like children for the last hour."

A twinge of apprehension curled within my core, for Olivia had never been inclined towards such acts of vandalism. It was not the dwindling time we spent together that disquieted me, but rather the gradual metamorphosis I had witnessed in her chosen circle—a bunch of questionable characters whose gatherings had never sat well with me. The disconcerting notion of her returning home inebriated on weekdays had become an unsettling reality that bred worry.

"Kayla," Alex turned my attention back to her, "if you're not planning to help with any of this, you're welcome to go over to that group over there. They've got a few questions about tomorrow's test, and I'm being pulled in twenty directions today. I don't know when I'll be able to get to them."

A contemplative hum cascaded from my lips. "That might make me look like the teacher's pet. I think Soph wants that spot more than me."

Sophia nudged me with a horrified expression etched upon her features. "Girl, I won't let you jam with me and Lucas today if you don't shut your mouth," she hissed, her smile barely contained. "Then you'll whine about how you've got nothing to do."

Gifting Sophia a sly grin, I pivoted back to Alex, observing the faint curl of amusement that graced her lips. "Help me out, will you?" she said.

And so, the remaining time in detention unfurled against the whiteboard. Laughter and conversations eventually faded from the classroom, leaving me to erase the remnants of my knowledge, eager anticipation of freedom propelling my movements.

But as I spun on my heels, an unanticipated frailty seized my legs, threatening to buckle beneath me. The universe, mischievous in its machinations, seemed intent on orchestrating a grand spectacle at my expense. For scarcely had I taken a single step toward the solace of a vacant seat when an overwhelming wave of nausea engulfed me. The world around me blurred, and with a faltering gait, my fingers clung to the edge of the teacher's desk.

A gentle voice pierced through the haze of disorientation, pulling me back to reality. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I steadied myself and directed my gaze toward the source of the voice, finding Alex standing beside me. "I think I just turned around too fast."

Her features softened, and before I could fully comprehend what was happening, I found myself sinking into her seat, my suddenly clammy palms cradling the metallic surface of her water bottle.

Concern etched lines of worry on her forehead. "You sure?"

I took tiny sips, focusing on not throwing up until the urge had passed. "Yeah, sorry," I said, my words teetering between reassurance and uncertainty. "Just a dizzy spell."