t w e l v e

"Mase, Mignon McLaughlin once said." Florence spoke, but was interrupted by laughter from Mason.

"What was her name? Minion? Like the little yellow things?"

"No! Like the steak!" Florence nodded "Anyways, I was sayin' she once said that no one has ever loved anyone, the way everyone wants to be loved but I truly think that you could prove her wrong."

"I think that's a compliment."

"It is!"

Florence had found herself in the company of Mason, almost daily. It had almost felt perfect, Apollo liked being in Mason's company but there was a weird grey area in which both of them were unsure of whether they had a title. Not that either of them would want to change the way things were going. It had grown particularly infuriating for Mason, with his friends asking questiong that he didn't know the answers to. The ability to insufficiently communicate was the source of their problem in the first place and Mason knew he couldn't let it fuck up their relationship again.

"Flo, I've got a question. It's alright if you don't want to answer but like, its been nagging me."

"What's up, Mase? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, course it is! Just wondering, like are we together still or do I need to go all out and ask you to be my girlfriend again?"

"I like the idea of the second option." She smiled. "You know people don't usually say I love you to each other before they're actually together!"

"Well, we were together. To be fair, you never said the words 'I'm breaking up with you', so it counts. BUT I want a do over so I'm still going to ask you."
---
Mason had been worried about this day, he hadn't really seen Jack since the whole incident and he wasn't pleased with him. They had agreed to meet at a dog cafe in Chelsea with Apollo and Skye. He was never one to be intimidated by Jack, out of all people, but he realised that Jack had known Florence for nearly 10 years now and he probably wouldn't hold back his anger for hurting her as badly as he had.

"You'll be fine, babe." She took hold of his hand. "I love you. I'm right by your side."

He glanced over at her, smiling at her, inhaling deeply as he opened the door into the cafe. Florence embraced Sasha and Jack, whispering to them as she did so. "Best behaviour, please."

Mason shuffled awkwardly behind them, anxiety replacing the blood that was pumping around his body. His cheeks were flushed and he found it difficult to make eye contact with anyone in the party. He kept his eyes on Apollo, who had long forgotten who he was the moment he laid eyes on the other dog sat patiently with her humans.

"You alright, Mase?" Jack smiled at him briefly, before bending down to pet the rottweiler nuzzling at him.

"Good thanks, mate. How have you two been?"

"Not bad. Been busy, you know how it is."

Florence noticed Sasha rolling her eyes at every word Mason spoke and nudged her. Sasha scoffed but put a smile on her face.

"Are you excited?" Sasha smiled at her friend.

Florence nodded, smiling back at her. "Can NOT wait! Girls holiday incoming!"

Mason's eyebrows furrowed, catching the attention of Sasha, who yet again rolled her eyes at him. "Did Flossie not tell you?"

"No, I haven't gotten the chance to yet!" She turned to face him. "We're going to Mexico for a couple of weeks for my birthday!"

"You won't be here for your birthday?"

"No! Me and Sash booked it whilst I was a bit depressed like and didn't really fancy spending my birthday in the city at the time."