𝟎𝟏𝟐 Aftershock

Depuis le début

Hen nods, "And much like watching cooking on TV, we never get to taste anything. Usually, by the time it hits the table, the bell goes off."

"Knock on wood," Emery speaks.

Hen knocks on the wood of the counter, "Thank you."

"Captain, I feel like you would definitely have a cooking competition show." Emery nods her head. "Find the next best Chef?" she takes a bite out of her omelet.

Bobby chuckles at the girl's comment, "There are plenty of shows like that, right now."

Emery shrugs her shoulders, "Well, yeah, but I feel like you could give a new perspective to the art of cooking." she points at Bobby. "Just a thought."

"All right, speed round. If you weren't doing this, what would you be doing?" Bobby asks.

"Fighter Pilot. Topgun. Call Sign: Shogun." Chimney answers in a dramatic tone.

Emery and Hen look at each other before laughing. Chimney pulls his brows together, wanting an explanation. Emery slightly opens her mouth, "Look, Chim, I am all for anyone wanting to be anything they want. But, planes? Don't those kind of freak you out?"

Chimney purses his lips, "I mean, yes. But, if I wasn't a firefighter and became a Fighter Pilot--that fear would've been wiped away!"

Emery frowns and nods her head, "Fair point." she looks at the woman in glasses. "What about you, Hen?"

Hen sits on the other side of Chimney. "Editorial cartoons, The New Yorker."

Emery, Chimney, and Bobby exchange a look. "I have a lot to say," Hen says with a shrug.

"Can you draw?" Emery questions.

Hen slightly opens her mouth, "I mean, no, but it's a dream." she shrugs. "It's not supposed to be attainable."

She then points at Chimney. "Top Gun? You can barely drive, you rebar head."

"Hey!"

Emery laughs and takes a bite out of her omelet.

"All right, Em. What about you, huh?" Chim looks at the girl. "What job would you have had if you weren't a Firefighter?"

Emery's smile saddens and she thinks. There was a time when Emery had another career in mind. She was so passionate about it, then she pivoted to being a Firefighter. And that's when her marriage started to fall apart.

Emery blinks and looks at each person at the table. "Uh, Photographer." she nods. "Definitely would've been my job."

"Is Photography an actual job?" Buck speaks, making his way over to the four.

Emery scoffs, "I was wondering why today was so peaceful..." she points her fork at Buck. "Probie was nowhere to be found."

"Former Probie, Emi."

"I don't have an 'i' in my name." Emery huffs. "And yes, photography is an actual job. How else could there be photos in articles and photos of celebrities in magazines?"

"All right, Buckaroo, if you were not a member of the LAFD, what would you be doing?" Chimney asks.

Buck opens his mouth, "Uh, I don't know." his face then drops and he snaps his eyes over to Bobby. "I'm not getting fired, am I?"

Emery sighs, "One can hope."

"He'd be a Golden Retriever." Hen states. Emery then scoffs, "One that pisses all over the carpet."

Buck reaches over Emery's shoulder. She moves her gaze and pierces her challenging brown eyes into his. Buck smirks, "You know what, Em? I feel like you could also be a Golden Retriever."