𝟎𝟎𝟕 To New Beginnings

Karma's a Bitch.

chapter seven , To New Beginnings

━━━━━━━━━━

The fire truck comes to a stop and everyone grabs their bags and hop out. Places her bag over her shoulder and her eyes skim across the land. Emery's skin starts to crawl. "Deja Vu, anyone?"

Hen slowly starts to nod her head. "We've been here before."

"When?"

"Before you joined us, kid." Bobby answers.

Emery closes her eyes and sighs. "Oh, the good 'ole days."

Buck rolls his eyes. "Have I told you how unfunny you are?" He looks at her.

Emery opens her eyes and smirks. She turns her head and pierces her dark brown eyes into Buck's bright blue ones. "And have I told you how much I hate your eyes?"

One year ago

"Emery you grab ahold of her legs and Chim, you go up there and cut her down."

As soon as Chimney and Hen saw the lady hanging from the tree, they both had the same thought enter their minds. They look at Emery and she swallows thickly.

"Em, you don't have to go up there." Hen says.

Emery wipes the rain from her eyes and scoffs. "Come on, Hen. This girl is dying. I'm going up there." She shakes her head. "I appreciate you guys—seriously, but I don't need you two babying me."

Emery grabs her knife from her work bag. She tosses her bag to the side and holds her knife out to Chimney. Chimney grabs the knife and gives Emery a comforting nod. He climbs up the ladder with Emery behind her. Chimney gets on the thick branch, and starts to cut at the rope that was wrapped around the woman's neck.

Emery wraps her arms around the woman's legs and picks her up, lessening the pressuring around her neck. The entire time Emery was holding up the woman, her hearing started going in and out.

"Okay, Chim! You're almost there!"

The ropes slowly start to give way and Chim looks at the girl.

"Em, it's almost done!"

Emery blinks and she opens her mouth. "Copy, just tell me when!" She shouts through the rain.