Chapter 30. Lavender Hoodie

Começar do início

Inaaya didn't dare to turn around, heat rising up her neck and spreading across her cheeks. She exhaled quietly before answering the question. "I— I thought of checking on him and then, left the door open so that he could get some heat due to the heater in the room." She cringed when she heard Maya laughing.

"So mature, aren't you?" She went near the sink where Inaaya was standing with toothbrush shoved in her mouth. Inaaya looked at her warily. "On a serious note," Maya started, her tone playful, a complete contrast to the words she said, "you actually made the CEO of a multinational company wait for you like a homeless, lovesick puppy and he didn't even complain," she grinned and nudged her shoulder, making her jerk forward. "Not bad," she teased and winked at Inaaya who seethed at her.

Inaaya heaved a sigh after Maya was out of her sight. What was actually wrong with her? Did she really in her stubbornness let Ayansh spend the whole night outside on the floor? She shook her head, realising there's no point in pondering upon something that she can't change and yet a small smile tugged at her lips at the fact that he actually didn't leave her alone throughout the night no matter how much she tried to push him away. He stayed right there whispering sweet nothings to her without any expectation of a reply, gently holding her hand and making her cross the bridge of self-doubt that had emerged within her.

After her morning routine, she went outside to find Ayansh chatting and entertaining Khushi with his antics. A sudden wave of nostalgia hits her as she remembers their time together at the NGO and her heart warms at the feeling that envelopes her.

"I don't like this guy." Akira murmurs, standing beside Inaaya and staring at the duo with annoyance.

Inaaya let's out an inaudible chuckle and before she could think twice, she ends up saying, "you don't have to like him."

Amusement flashes across Akira's face and she gives a knowing look to Inaaya.

Her face flushes. "Is the coffee ready? I'll bring it for everyone." She excuses herself.

Maya gathers everyone at the dining area and Inaaya brings the tray with their drinks. She serves Khushi her choclate milkshake before handing Akira her hot coffee. She keeps her coffee on the table and then, moves to the other side.

Ayansh mouths a "thank you" when she keeps his coffee in front of him and as she stretches over slightly to give Maya her cold coffee, she awkwardly loses her balance, her hand hitting the edge of the table, the glass slipping out of her grasp, the coffee getting spilled on Ayansh's sweater and the glass tumbling to the floor and breaking into pieces with a clank.

Everyone freezes in their place, deafening silence spreading over them. Ayansh's lips part, an empty look etched on his face, his hands stopping in mid air and he slowly turns his neck and meets Inaaya's eyes which were so wide that it felt that they could fall out of their sockets anytime soon.

"I'm so sorry," she says in hushed tones. "I'm really sorry," she repeats, her face contorted in embarassment. "Atleast, it's— it's cold coffee and not hot," she adds, trying to make the situation look better, "it ain't that bad, is it?"

Silence.

"You aren't burnt," she murmurs when he continues to stare without a word uttered, an unreadable look in his gaze.

Ayansh looks down at his spoiled sweater and suddenly, emotions paint themselves on his face, the most prominent being mirth and an irresistible urge to laugh. He looks back up at her, trying his best to not let the grin spilt on his face.

Her eyelashes flutter and like a contagious disease, the urge to laugh infects her as well as she remembers the numerous times they've been in a similar situation.