Chapter 27. Admission

🎶 Aahatein - Samyak Prasana

Published on 28.12.2022

❝ kabhi mere khwab sa,
kabhi ulje jawab sa,
ke chanda mein bhi daag sa,
mere jaisa tu. ❞

🥀

Ayansh was spread out on his bed with his face planted on the pillow, exhausted and exasperated. He was starting to have a headache because he couldn't shut down his thoughts. The diary which once comforted him was starting to haunt him. The unknown stranger which once felt like a friend walking with him, their words a warm blanket has now begun to morph into something it was never supposed to, like a tide rising, like a storm brewing.

Ayansh sat up straight against the headboard. Grabbing his phone from the stand, he dialled Mr. Stevens number. He needed someone who could listen to him patiently, guide him and most importantly, understand him when he himself wasn't able to. Not to forget he was the only one apart from him who knew about the diary's existence.

"Ayansh?" Mr. Stevens spoke on the other side.

"Hey!" He says frantically. "Yeah, it's me."

"I swear I didn't say anything to her this time."

Ayansh blinks.

"You told me to kept that a secret and I've managed to keep it. Atleast till now. So, if she has come to know about it, it's not because of me. I'm not at fault mate- "

"Hold on," Ayansh intervenes his incessant blabbering. "What are you talking about? I called you because I need your help."

A beat passes in silence before a response comes. "Oh," the elderly man sighs. "I thought you're again approaching me to crib," he chuckles and Ayansh frowns in displeasure.

"I- ," he exhales. "Forget it. I need your help. Can you please.... "

"What's wrong?"

Ayansh prepares himself to speak. "Remember the diary? Yes, the diary," he emphasizes.

"The diary in which you write although it belongs to somebody else?" Mr. Stevens inquires.

His shoulders droop helplessly. "Way to make me feel guilty," he grits out.

"I'm sorry," he tries to contain his laugh but Ayansh hears it nonetheless. "Anyways, continue."

"I think about it a lot. The diary and- and the person to whom it belongs. I know it sounds weird because I don't even know the girl but... but it's complicated. I- I don't know what to do. It's not like I never used to think about it or her but I always felt it was my natural curiosity but now, I don't know anymore. I don't want to think. Help me please."

Mr. Stevens then asks in a solemn voice, "Do you know that girl?"

"No."

"Have you met her?"

"Obviously no."

"Do you think you'll meet her?"

"The chances are very low and even though, I did want to meet her earlier, now, I don't. I don't want to do anything associated with her."

"I've a perfect solution for you."

Ayansh's expression changes as the response seeps within him and his face brightens up. "You do?"

He nods. "Yes. Cut the call and go to sleep."

His face falls, the helpless feeling once again pricking at his insides, making him want to scream or silence everything. He slowly murmurs, "I was serious." He swallows. "And I thought you're the only person who could be of some help to me."