Chapter 30. Lavender Hoodie

Start from the beginning

Inaaya, although annoyed doesn't react to it and Akira simply makes her way to the kitchen.

"Hey!" Ayansh says softly to the little girl who sat on the couch, her legs hanging from the edge and arms crossed against her front, her doe shaped eyes narrowed into slits. He kneels down and gives her a cute smile, hoping it's actually cute and not creepy. "I'm sorry about earlier for offending you. I didn't mean it."

Khushi continues to stare.

"Okay," Ayansh breathes out. "Let me introduce myself. I'm Ayansh and you?"

"Mumma says we shouldn't talk to strangers," she looks away and when her eyes fall on Inaaya, a bulb gets switched on in her brain and she rushes to her.

"Happy new yearrrrr!" She drags and grins adorably which makes Inaaya's face split into a smile.

Inaaya bends to her level and squishes her cheek. "Happy new year, my favourite human." She pecks her forehead and Khushi giggles.

Ayansh smiles at the sight, gazing at the duo with fondness.

"By the way," Inaaya says, pointing at Ayansh. "He's not a stranger. He's my friend."

Amusement colours Ayansh's face.

"Your friend?" Khushi questions as if she was finding it hard to believe.

Inaaya nods.

"So he's Mumma's friend too?"

Inaaya wanted to chortle at that query. The interactions between Ayansh and Akira have been anything but friendly and she was already aware of the aversion Akira felt towards him.

"He is," Inaaya replies, containing her urge to laugh as the answer causes Ayansh's face to scrunch in displeasure.

"Then why was Mumma angry at him?" The girl wonders.

"Uh... he's her friend right? And friends do get angry with each other, don't they?" Inaaya tried to convince Khushi.

Khushi thinks deeply for a while before walking up to Ayansh and forwarding her hand. "I'm Khushi Shah and I'm three years old."

Ayansh chuckles and gives his hand for a handshake. "Honoured to meet you, Khushi Shah."

Maya comes to him and gives him a spare toothbrush. "I don't get why are you still here considering you came over because Inaaya was alone but I'll let it slide." She mutters to him in a low voice.

"Happy new year to you too I guess," Ayansh says instead, unbothered by whatever she said.

She shows him the way to the washroom as Inaaya shakes her head and walks to her room. Maya quickly rushes behind Inaaya and after getting inside, she slams the door close, baffling the other woman.

"What's wrong with you?" Maya grits out.

"What did I do?" Inaaya looked at her with perplexity.

Her eyes widened in disbelief. "You're seriously asking me that?" She gasps. "You actually left Ayansh to freeze to death— "

"You're exaggerating."

"I'm not!" Maya snapped, stepping towards Inaaya. "He's your boss. What's wrong with you?"

"In the office," she replied dryly. "And I asked him to leave multiple times. It was his decision to experience winter to his heart's content by waiting," she shrugged, moving to the bathroom to take out her toothbrush.

Maya sighed. Her friend was a hopeless case. "Fine. You kept him waiting outside the door but then, why was the door open and why were you lying in that awkward position?"