And that's the exact moment when I realized as a child, at the age of thirteen, that we don't always get what we want in life. Life comes with challenges. Challenges we might not like, or might not even know are coming our way. It's hard, and it's painfully hard.

"I've always noticed that downward gaze you have whenever you're lost in thought," Viktor brings me out of my reverie, and I can't help but display a frown to show my confusion without verbalizing it. "Besides the shaking or tapping, you stare downwards whenever you're thinking. What's on your mind?" he questions, squinting his eyes and tilting his head.

I divert my attention to the many chess awards on the top-right shelf in the left corner. Bronze, gold, and silver on all three shelves. "Has Nicholas called?" I deflect his question and ask. I haven't heard from Nicholas since the whole incident with the Morretti family. I know both he and Stella are safe, but they don't know if Aria and I are as well. And I'm sure that's all that's on their minds.

Viktor chuckles. "Over the past three days, my phone has been ringing nonstop because of the blonde. I truly wonder how Nicholas will deal with her for the rest of his life. Because I couldn't," he says, timidly.

"And as for Nicholas, he knows you're safe. He just doesn't know where safe is. And I'm sure he's dying to know, but he knows it's not time yet to find out."

I nod. "Indeed, it's not time yet." I rise to my feet and push the rustic chair in. I turn on my heel but pause in the middle of my steps. "I've decided to make my arrival known." The chair's legs scrape loudly against the ground, and I sense Viktor's disapproval emanating from his body.

"That's a fucking death sentence," he seethes.

I shove my hands into my slacks' pockets and tilt my head. "For them or for me?" I ask.

My final words silence Viktor, as he has no room to argue with me about my decision. Once my mind is made up and the plan is set, then the plan is a go. I'm not sure when I'll return to town, but when the time comes, it will happen. And I'll be prepared for anything that comes my way.

On my way to the basement, I pass by the room where the girl hasn't dared to come out. The door is shut, but it isn't locked. It's nighttime, so I assume she's halfway asleep, or perhaps she's a night owl who likes to stay up. For five more seconds, I contemplate opening the door and getting the answer to my question, but I hesitate. For a few more seconds, I stand outside.

I wasn't going inside to check on her. I still need to know if she used the phone or not. It's been there for three days, and she hasn't touched it.

I reach for the doorknob, but the door opens, and a dark-haired woman steps out, her body colliding with mine. The warmth of her body makes the hair on my arms stand, and suddenly, goosebumps crawl down my spine. The natural scent of her hair fills my nose, taking over as if my nose is its resting place. It's as if we're frozen, everything around us suddenly stops moving. The ticking clock halts. I can't hear her steady breathing anymore. I try to step back, but I can't. Our bodies are intertwined, stuck together as if we're one. I look around the room and notice how different it looks.

Behind her, light shines brightly. A radiant light that seems to glow without a hint of darkness. And behind me, there's nothing but bitter darkness. What does this mean? Is this even real? It can't be. And then there's a voice. A familiar voice, a voice I haven't heard in over a decade. "Remember, Armen. When you're lost in the darkness, always look for the light."

"Ronan," another voice is heard, and everything returns to normal. Everything is back in motion; I'm back in reality. There's no bright light, no cloud of darkness. It's just a room, with two people standing outside of it. "Your hand is shaking," she holds my hand in hers, and it's indeed shaking profusely.

I withdraw my hand from hers and turn on my heel. It's becoming uncontrollable now. It never used to happen when I was around people, only when I was alone. If all that was just in my head, I can only imagine what Aria has just witnessed. And from all of it, I can only remember one thing.

Remember when you're lost in the darkness, look for the light.

・・・

comment if you like the new cover! let me know your thoughts :) -->

Hello, my beautiful readers! I'm still on a vacation, and I will be fully back next week. I just wanted to give you guys an update, since I haven't been able too.

Other than that, I hope you enjoyed today's chapter! I love you all :)