"Then you will be like... my parents?"

"Yes. It's like adoption, but not as significant, and adoption would take much more time to finalize. Guardianship ensures that I temporarily, and legally have the right to keep you with me and care for you. Otherwise, it would seem like I was kidnapping you and you could be taken away and I could be in trouble."

Tears fell down Harry's cheeks and he latched on Severus in seconds. The small arms wrapped around Severus' torso and the tearful face pressed into the man's chest. Severus tensed for a few seconds and brought his arms around the boy. He didn't expect that.

"You would really do that for... for me?"

"Yes, of course, Harry. Why wouldn't I?"

"'Cause no one ever does" - the boy said softly and tearfully into the firm chest.

They stayed like that for a few moments until Severus broke the silence.

"I'll take that as a yes?"

The boy nodded in his chest. Severus held the boy a little longer, then pulled back.

"Ok, do you want to sign the papers now? Or you prefer to take some more time thinking?"

The boy looked at him hesitantly, then said in a small voice.

"Now, please. If...if you want, that is. I don't want to be a...a burden."

"Harry, look at me" - he waited for the boy to comply - "you are not a burden. You are a child, that's all"

Harry only nodded softly.

"Alright. Now, sit here and I'll go get the paper"

Severus walked into the kitchen and there was Dumbledore, sitting at the counter, smirking and waving the stack of papers as if they were money and he had just won the lottery.

"Wipe that look off your face, Albus"

"You wouldn't want to talk to me like that, I'm sure, dear son" - the old man said, shaking the papers, teasing him.

The younger man snatched the stack out of his hands and walked out without a word.

He walked back to Harry and sat beside him.

"All right. These are the legal guardianship papers. I think you should read through it to have a better grasp of what it will mean for both of us." - he said and handed them to Harry.

Harry took the papers shakily and started reading.

It took Harry 10 minutes, then he handed them back shyly.

"Ok, do you want to do it now, have you absolutely made up your mind? It's ok if you have second doubts and just do not want to get on with it just yet"

"I...I really want it. Please" - the boy said in a small voice.

The thought of getting away from his relative and having a caring guardian, ... or two was enough for Harry to crave it desperately. These past few weeks he had enjoyed the best he could while not letting himself get too used to it, in case he had to leave.

"Alright, then. So do I. Shall we sign it?"

It felt surreal to both of them as they signed. Neither of them had thought this would ever happen. To Harry, having a caring family was like a hopeless dream that maybe he had given up on years ago. But now, he couldn't believe his eyes as he stared at the papers that stated that Severus Tobias Snape would be the guardian of Harry James Potter, at least until something happens that separates them, which Severus assured him that they would do his best to prevent it from happening using 'that old man's power'.