32: You're a Seer

FREYJA

Eira, Loki, Arvid and I walked in silence through the stone corridors of The Mountain Hold. Everyone was horribly tense.

"How did you ever get her in a dress?" Eira asked Loki and Arvid in an attempt to lighten the mood.

"I honestly have no idea." Arvid answered. He stifled a yawn, massaging his eyes. The excitement of the evening made me forget just how late it was.

She sighed. "You're tired, Arvid. You've been gone for a while. You should rest."

"I'm alright," he assured. "I'm not..."

"That's an order, soldier."

Arvid looked like he wanted to argue, but at the end of the day, regardless of how much he accompanied me and the other council members, he was still just like any other revolutionary in this mountain. He had to obey orders.

"Good night then." He gave me a smile then disappeared down the winding tunnels. Eira then turned to Loki and raised an eyebrow expectantly.

"What?" He asked.

"Loki," Eira was ever patient, even when dealing with the prince. "Go to bed."

"You're not in charge of me," He shot back. "You can't make me do anything."

"But I can." I crossed my arms over my chest, very much wanting to get out of the dress. "Go to bed or I make you do Calder's conditioning class tomorrow."

"Are you not worried about me running rampant in your beloved mountain?" He challenged.

I tilted my head. "I haven't decided yet. Should I be?"

He smiled, and his expression said it all. We had passed that by now. I rolled my eyes. "Go."

"Has he been giving you any trouble?" Eira asked as he turned and retreated down the hallway.

Let me see, I thought. He invaded my mind and saw my memories, he has a habit of making snide remarks and he at some point in time planned to betray the revolution. "Nothing major."

"That's good." She nodded. "I assume he has been of some use?"

"Absolutely," I answered. "The mortals were all over him, and his magical abilities were useful in obtaining the iridium." I smirked. "Speaking of magic, I daresay you have a lot of explaining to do."

She seemed to age before my eyes. She slumped slightly and her eyes, though empty, looked tired. She sighed. "That I do. Walk with me."

Curiosity won, and I followed her. We seemed to have no particular destination, but she didn't seem to mind. Every now and then she would reach to the side and touch the wall, using it as a guide to replace her lost sight.

I was never one for emotion, but betrayal burned in the depths of my soul. The same feeling when I had looked into Loki's mind on the rooftop to take the tesseract. When I had seen his plan to betray me and the revolution.

I can't go back now, I'll just end up back in my cage. It was a memory of a thought, when I had taken him to the entrance of The Mountain Hold to see if he would run back to the palace or cooperate. I need to bide my time. I'll wait until the ones in power are weak, and then I will make the revolution into my own private army.

I shuddered. The reminder that he was that willing to turn on me shook me to my core. What would stop him from going through with it? He assured me that he had abandoned the idea, but how could I believe that? What had changed?

"Freyja, are you well?" Eira's voice brought me back to reality.

I shoved the thought away. "I'm alright."