21: Shopping Spree

ARVID

Now that we had a plan in place for getting the iridium, we just needed the materials to pull our plan off.

Loki assured Freyja and I that he could handle our disguises, assuming Freyja mastered shape shifting. The main issues would be the props to accompany the disguises.

"Why can't I come too?" Loki whined as Freyja forced him toward the door where Genesis awaited him. "I want to go buy things too!"

She scoffed. "How many reasons do you want? One, you have a target on your back the size of Alfheim. Two, you have humans to entertain. Three, if I don't get a break from you I'm going to end up drowning you in a bucket of dirty dish water."

"That seemed uncalled for." He scowled but waved his hand at her and I to transform our clothing back into Midgardian attire with a wave of green light. "But I suppose whatever you say goes, guardian. Be safe."

"We're not the ones that need to worry about safety." I gently tugged on Freyja's sleeve to tow her toward the door. "Don't set anything on fire."

A mischievous glint sparked in his green eyes. "I would never."

I towed Freyja down the hallway with a strange boiling sensation in my stomach. No matter how much he pretended to be on our side, a snake never forgets how to bite.

"Let's go over what we need again." I said as I released my grip on her arm. "We need walkie talkies..."

"Stupid name." She muttered.

"...Matches, dynamite..."

"More stupid names."

"...and two fake S.H.I.E.L.D badges." I concluded. "Which we will likely have to take from actual S.H.I.E.L.D agents."

"To get the agents, we may need to create a little... chaos." She flashed me a grin that simultaneously made my stomach flutter and my skin crawl. She had the same, partially deranged look in her eye that Loki did. It was unnerving, how similar they could be sometimes.

I elbowed her lightly. "I think Loki may be rubbing off on you."

"Stars above, I hope not." She scrunched up her nose and made a face. "I'd sooner let Calder rub off on me."

"That would be even worse!" I laughed. We walked down the winding hallways of the hotel until we eventually emerged onto the sidewalk where a chauffeur was waiting with a car.

He waved to us. "Miss Freyja and Mister Arvid?"

"That's us." Freyja confirmed.

With a distinct sense of pride he patted the gleaming hood of the car. "Your ride awaits you."

"You're supposed to ride that thing?" Freyja asked cautiously. "How? There's no saddle."

I smiled lightly and left her side. My hand curled around the door handle and I swung it open with a quick jerk. "Milady, your chariot awaits you."

"I am not going in there." She said flatly as she studied the starkly clean interior of the vehicle. "We can walk."

"Oh, don't be ridiculous." I offered her my hand. "It's perfectly safe."

She sighed but reluctantly took my hand and allowed me to help her into the car. The slight touch sent buzzing waves of electricity rushing up my arm. I forced my giddiness down and hopped into the car behind her.