17: Chocolate Cake

LOKI

My main concern about being on Midgard again wasn't that I was going to get recognized and captured. I could handle anything these mortals could throw at me.

No. I was mostly worried I was going to wring Freyja's neck out before we reached the damn hotel.

"You really did a number on this place." She mused, the mischievous glint in her eye telling me she knew that it was getting under my skin. "I think you missed a building a few streets over, though. It still looks structurally sound."

"Please shut up." I replied through gritted teeth, ignoring a few strange looks thrown at me from passerby. If I get recognized, we're not going to get far.

She raised an eyebrow and moved in front of me, walking backwards. "I didn't expect the man who almost destroyed a city to have such good manners."

"What did you just say?" Asked a balding man walking by, stopping to look at me in horror.

I waved him off, fighting down panic. "It's from a video game."

To my relief, he just frowned and kept walking. Freyja snorted, and I took that opportunity to grab her wrist and drag her into a nearby alleyway.

"You dare..." She began, tearing her hand free in outrage. Before she could finish I clamped a hand over her mouth.

"Are you trying to get us killed?" I hissed. "Right now, there is no one in the city who wouldn't take great joy in mounting my head on a..." I was cut off by my own sharp cry of pain as Freyja sank her teeth into my hand.

She shoved me backwards while I was still recovering and pinned me to the wall, a sword at my throat. "Don't touch me again."

"Okay, I won't! Just put the sword down." I placed two fingers on the flat of her blade and gently pushed it away.

She sighed and reluctantly sheathed her sword. Her gaze fell to the sidewalk. "I'm sorry."

"You seem very..." I searched for the right word. Strange? Energetic? Jumpy? "Tense. Is everything alright?"

"Yes, everything is fine." She answered quickly. Too quickly. "Let's find this hotel."

Without looking back she stepped back into the flow of pedestrian traffic. I sighed and followed her close behind. I decided at that moment that Freyja was more of a piece of work than I was, and that is making a statement.

Every once in a while, as we walked, a black truck with the familiar bird like emblem of S.H.I.E.L.D would drive by. Every time one did, I would duck my head and hide my face.

"What are you doing?" Freyja asked with a slight smile as she fell into step beside me after one of many S.H.I.E.L.D drive by's. "You look unbelievably suspicious when you do that."

"Looking suspicious is better than being spotted by S.H.I.E.L.D." I reasoned as I straightened up again.

She fell silent for a heartbeat. I watched her out of the corner of my eye as her gaze drifted around her surroundings. "What's that?"

"It's a coffee shop." I explained as she stopped in front of it, peering in the window. "They sell you drinks and food and things of that sort."

A wonderful smell drifted out of an open window. The aroma of warm coffee and baked pastries wafted to my nostrils and made my mouth water.

"It smells good." Freyja noted, face impassive.

I glanced at the hungry look in her eye, the only thing to suggest her desire to eat. Mind made up, I grabbed her wrist and towed her toward the door. "You haven't lived until you've tried a good vanilla latte."