9: We All Have Our Secrets

ARVID

"For the thousandth time," I said tiredly, adjusting my position on the bed in the infirmary. "I can do this!"

"Okay then," Eira challenged from her seat at the foot of my bed. "Prove it."

Setting my jaw for the pain I was about to endure, I swung my legs over the edge of the bed so my bare feet were brushing the stone floor.

I bit down on my tongue to keep from screaming out from the agony of my wound. The healers had done well with their herbs and bandages, but it was far from the efficiency of magically induced healing.

We didn't have that as an option though, so this just had to do.

Gritting my teeth, I eased weight onto my injured leg, forcing back the stabs of pain that wracked my entire body.

I tried to divert my mind from the excruciating agony as I took a step forward.

Think about Freyja, think about Freyja. I told myself. An image of her face appeared in my mind, and I thought about all the times she had called me names in that endearing way she does, sparred with me, corrected my fighting technique, beaten me in combat, called me names again...

"Arvid," Eira said softly. "That's enough."

I didn't realize there was a tear trickling down my cheek until it fell off my face and hit the floor. With a sigh, I sat back down on the bed, knowing fully well that no matter what the test was the woman just gave me, I failed.

Shadows of the pain I just endured lingered, and I grabbed fistfuls of the bed sheets and clamped my hands down on them as hard as I could.

I looked up to find Eira studying me with her blind eyes. Surely she can't actually see...

"If I told you there's a way to heal your leg completely," She said slowly. "Would you promise not to tell anyone how?"

"Yes." I agreed immediately. "As long as I can be the one to go to Midgard to start rallying supporters."

She sighed, hanging her head. "Take my hand and place it on your injury. My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, you know."

"Yeah, sure." I muttered, but did as she said, laying her wrinkled yet delicate hand on the jagged flesh of my thigh.

I looked at her in confusion as she squinted slightly, her face contorted. "This may take a moment. You must understand, I haven't done this in a few centuries."

"Done what?"

In answer, I felt a tingling cold spread through my leg. I glanced down then gasped in awe as the palm of her hand glowed with a pale blue light, the edges of the cut shrinking as new flesh crawled over the hole in my skin.

"Should I be concerned about this?" I questioned warily, eyeing the old woman. Who would've guessed that Eira could use healing magic? "How long have you been able to do that?"

"Since before you were born." She chuckled as the wound closed completely. Where there used to be pain there was now only a pleasant numbness.

I bent my knee and stretched it again in wonder. "How did you...?"

"Remember," She said with a slight smile as she stood up and collected her cane. "This is our little secret."

"You didn't tell me when you made me promise that that you are a sorceress." I reasoned.