1: Politics and Petty Arguments

FREYJA

"No, Freyja!" A burly man shouted at me from across the heavy wooden table between us. Candlelight cast flickering shadows across his angled features, making his sallow face look ghostly in the darkness. "Dragging the prince into this is going to accomplish nothing other than send us to an early grave!"

I was hardly even fazed by his shouting. The other five people at the table wore troubled faces as they witnessed the argument unfold before them.

"Calder," I said smoothly, leaning back in my chair with my boots kicked up on the table. "You're being unreasonable... again, might I add."

A smirk tugged at the corner of my lips, but I quickly covered my face with an emotionless mask. "The prince could very well be our ticket into the palace. If we can win his loyalty, this whole operation will become easier than determining the difference between a horse and a tree frog."

"And what, might I ask, makes you think we can win him over?" Calder challenged, stroking his orange beard with one soot stained hand. He was a blacksmith, as could be determined by his coal-covered apron.

I used my own energy and envisioned tearing his skull apart, stretching out with my mind, brushing my consciousness against his. Magic could make winning arguments much easier a task.

When using magic, I tried to refrain from going any deeper than conscious thought. One, it is unbelievably draining trying to force my way any farther into someone's mind, even with the right spell. Two, it is like going into someone's presence while they are changing clothes: nothing is hiding them.

But that didn't keep me from grasping onto Calder's surface thoughts. "You think he will betray us." I said confidently, bringing to light what was on his mind. "There is an easy way around that, but I didn't expect a half witted donkey carcass like yourself to realize that."

"It'd do you good to watch your mouth, girl. Tell me, why is she in charge again?" Calder incredulously asked the elderly woman on his right. "Come on, Eira. Talk some sense into this disrespectful child."

Eira looked up at him, despite the cataracts that clouded her vision. "She is in charge because she is our best warrior and a sorceress." She reasoned. "That is a lot more than you can claim."

Of the people at the table, Eira was the oldest and easily my favorite. I gave her a nod, to which she smiled and flashed me a quick wink. I found it unnerving that she could still perceive the world around her as if her vision were still intact. How she did it, I didn't know. But that wasn't my business.

Calder sighed and opened his mouth to speak, but I held up a finger to silence him. Shoving my way into his head, I felt power drain out of me. The world seemed to spin in slow circles and spots danced across my vision, but that was just the toll of using magic.

How does she plan on getting the prince to help us? Calder thought, unaware I was listening. He is known for being a liar; a deceiver. He is not to be trusted!

"He may be known for lies and deception," I said aloud, making Calder stiffen. "But he will have no reason to betray us if we offer him the one thing he wants most... the throne."

"Get out of my head, witch!" Calder bellowed, covering his ears with his hands as if it would be of any help in warding me off. "I don't want you in my mind, understand?"

"Oh, trust me." I assured him, lacing my words with hatred. I had no particular fondness for Calder. "Your thoughts are just about as bland as your personality. It is not fun in there."

Calder's lips curled into a snarl as his anger burst forth. He drew his sword and lunged across the table, attempting to stab me through the heart. However, before the weapon could pierce my skin, I grabbed his forearm midair and slammed my elbow down on his wrist.