Thirty One

Tessa:

     So, worst case scenario was exactly what ended up happening. Cancer. "Kylie, you guys can go home. We are obviously going to be here for a while longer," I say, crying tears of anger. They are about to leave and I sit with Kyle, holding him tight. "I love you baby," I whisper. Sam comes back in with Drew so I stand up and let Drew sit with his brother. Sam quickly crosses the room, hugging me tight and holding me tighter when I start sobbing.  My hands start shaking and I want to hit things but Sam just grabs my hands and sits down in one of the parent chairs along the side of the room. "Come here baby," he sighs, pulling me into his lap, looking a snap second away from crying.

     "I'm sorry mommy," Kyle says. "It's not your fault baby," I sigh, brushing my hair over my ear. "So, obvious option is Chemo, but I want to get some blood work done to see if it'll work. He can go home tonight, but tomorrow I want to start keeping him home overnight. If we caught it in time, we should be able to save him," Kelly says. I nod, not wanting to picture a life with out him. My boys shouldn't be apart. It's not healthy for either of them and it sure as hell isn't okay by me. "Drew could you hop down sweetie?" She asks him. "No," he says, moving over a little but not hopping down. She looks at us and I shrug. I am not separating them.

      "Alright bud, were gonna do some blood work, which means it's gonna be like a shot but instead of putting stuff in, I'm gonna take some out," Kelly says. "I've got a name," Kyle says, rolling up his sleeves. He is six, but I love how defensive he gets, even in this condition. "I'm sorry Kyle," Kelly says, looking a bit taken back. He rolls his eyes and I bite my lip, trying not to laugh. The kid has got spirit. "Drew?" Kyle asks, turning his head as Kelly sticks the needle in his arm. "Yeah?" Drew asks, holding Kyle's other hand. "If I die will you keep my Thor action figure clean and keep mommy happy?" He asks and I start crying again, turning to Sam for support who is crying silently. "Yeah. Of course. I'll also make sure when I tell your jokes that I say you made them up. I'll keep your side of the room clean and I'll do your home work too," Drew says.

       I am sobbing against Sam's shoulder and can't stop when I feel his hand on my hip. I look up and it's not Sam, it's a Doctor that looks vaguely like John Stamos. "Hi, I'll be Kyle's doctor. My name is Dr. Fisher but you can call me Jack," he says, shaking my hand. "I'm Tessa Winchester. This is Sam," I say, straightening up. "Hi," he says, shaking Sam's hand. Sam nods and wipes at his eyes.

    "So I heard that you got a strange little thing going on in there," Jack says, sitting beside the boys on the cot and poking Kyle in the chest. Kyle smiles and nods. "Kelly says it's cancer. Then mommy got very sad. Auntie Kylie was talking to Uncle Dean and I heard her say that she didn't want me to die. But that's okay because if you can't fix me, mommy will still have Drew and all of my toys. She will also have daddy. But if you could fix me anyway Dr. Fisher, that would be nice because I don't want to leave my best friend. Not even so I can meet Cas's daddy, God," Kyle says. "Oh I am not going to let you leave. It doesn't look like any one in this room would last a minute with out you kiddo. So, the results came in and you have a thing called Leukemia. That's when the cancer is in your blood. But I'm going to fix you up. You just have to do what I ask okay?" Jack asks, looking directly at Kyle.

     "Alright Drew, now I wanna talk to you. How much do you love your brother?" He asks, sitting cross legged. "I love him so much that if he dies, I think I will too," Drew says, his lower lip trembling. "That's good. I have a brother just like that. I'm going to need something from you. It has to come from your body and I will only need it once. I will talk to your mommy and daddy but in my world, the kids should always come first," Jack says. Bone marrow. Right, I've done reading on Leukemia in High School. "I'd give him anything if it means that he gets to stay with me," Drew nods vigorously. "Okay. Let me talk to your parents about it first, yeah?" Jack asks, stretching out his legs as he hops down.

     "You guys should go home. We can meet tomorrow and sign papers and all that blah blah blah. I will make him better. I promise," Dr. Fisher says. I smile and go to hug him. He hugs me gently and pats my back. "Dr. Fisher?" Drew asks quietly. "Yes Drew?" He ask, squatting down to eye level. "Can I please stay with brother when he has to be here?" He asks feebly. "Of course bud. I wouldn't ever separate you guys. I can see that your brother means the world to you, actually, I think he means more than the world and me and you are going to be pretty close. We have the same goal, just like the Avengers. Me and you just want to make Kyle okay. So, let's do it. You know exactly what he is feeling based on the way he acts, the faces he makes, so much more than your parents understand and I am going to need all the help I can get. Whaddya say?" He asks. Drew nods and highfives him.

     We collect the boys and go back out to the truck. Things are being promised to get better but I can't bet all my money on this.

     Of course, when I really need my best friend, she is on a hunt. Great. She probably won't be back until I am already asleep. I put the boys to bed and turn on the baby monitor, something I haven't used in forever. "Good night boys," I sigh. "Good night mommy," the say in unison.