Twenty Two

Kylie:

I had just made a fresh pot of coffee when my phone rang, it was Tessa.

        “‘lo.” I said as I watched it brew. Tessa sighed, “Dean had another ‘Dean’ moment.” “Shit, what did he do this time?” I asked shaking my head. “Well…” she started and I knew it wasn’t good.

        “He kinda switched out my pregnancy tests a while back, you know during the Prank War,” ah yes, the infamous Prank War. We were all very stressed and needed something to let us take our minds off. I suppose that’s what Dean did. Tessa continued, “yeah...I didn’t realize it and I just checked...so I thought I was pregnant.” “Damn it Dean!” I exclaimed and I knew Tessa was nodding in agreement. “Well...other than that, Sam’s doing better, I’ll give him Bella’s card. Speaking of which, how in the hell did she get her hands on that much glitter?” “Beats me.” I replied with a shrug as I poured some coffee and grabbed some creamer from the fridge.

        “Well, Sam’s doing better, that’s a plus.” I said, trying to be positive. “I guess, anyway, I gotta go, he has to take some medicine.” I nodded, “Hang in there.” I whispered, knowing how much she wanted a kid. The phone buzzed signaling that she’d hung up.

        Kim came into the kitchen, “Is that coffee?” “Mhm, you want any?” I asked and he nodded. Kim then proceeded to grab my cup of perfectly blended coffee with my set amount of creamer. (What? Making coffee is an art, not to be taken lightly. Besides I have a system.)

        “Hey!” I exclaimed grabbing the cup back from him, “get your own Kimberly.” I frowned and he held up his hands defensively, “Sorry, damn, you take your coffee seriously.” “We all have our things.” I said as i sipped the coffee and I smiled, “Mhm…”

        “So, your husband being an ass?” he asked with a raised eyebrow as he poured his own coffee, and I glanced at him, “How’d you guess?” “You are very loud when you’re on the phone.” he replied with a smirk, and I rolled my eyes, “Okay, sure, you were probably just listening on my conversation.”

        He took a sip of the black coffee, “I’ll give you that. What he do this time?” “Switch out the pregnancy test.” I replied with a huge sigh. Kim looked outraged, “What?! How could somebody do that?!”

        Then I launched into a huge description of our Prank War.

Basically what happened was this: Stress was at an all time high, and we were going to murder each other. “Okay, calm yourself!” Tessa said one day when Dean and I were in an extreme yelling match. “We need something to take our minds off of this!” she said in an exasperated voice and I nodded in agreement.

Out of nowhere Sam come out and throws flour on Dean and I.

You’re right, Tessa did plan this too.

“Haha!” Sam exclaimed as he ran away from Dean who was (at the moment) trying to strangle him. “I’m gonna kill you Sammy!” he screamed.

Two hours later he came back with at least a gallon of honey, and feather pillows. I saw him come in and he put a finger to his mouth, “Sh, if you help me with this, I won’t get you too.” I got an amazing idea at that moment.

Dean’s plan was to put the honey over the door, and when Sam opened it the honey would fall on him, than he would unload the feathers on him, and then he’d throw flour on him for good measure.

“So I’m going to call Sam from below the door, back up and when I do and he’s in the doorway, you dump the honey.” he explained and I grinned.

So the plan was in action, but it had a twist...what dean didn’t know was that I was going to dump it on both of them.

After that we all just took to pranking each other for the next week. I couldn’t even sleep I was so paranoid that someone would prank me!

Kim had finished his coffee by the time I was done telling him about it.

“Geez. During that time Tessa and Sam did-nevermind. I don’t want to know.” he said closing his eyes. I laughed, “Oh...I never realized they did. I thought it was just Dean messing with me so that I couldn’t get sleep. But who am I to judge?” I replied with a shrug.

        The door opened and I heard a voice, “What are you two talking about me for?” he asked and I crossed my arms, “Explaining the Prank War. Is there anything you’d like to say?” I asked, talking to him like a mother would. He rubbed the back of his neck, “Oh. She told you about that?” “Yeah. If anything you should be sleeping on the couch tonight.” Kim said giving Dean a look of loathing. Dean sighed, “Yeah, I know. I’ll grab some pillow for the night.” he said sauntering off, and I sighed, “No Dean. It was a mistake. You hurt her feelings and practically ripped her heart out in front of her like in Indiana Jones, but it was a mistake.”

After Dean want back to our room Kim frowned, “He deserves worse than the couch.” “He feels bad about it, the guilt will be the worst part. That’s worse than any couch we have.” I replied finishing my coffee.

That night Tessa and Sam still hadn’t returned from the hospital and I wondered what it was like for her.

I crawled into bed and looked at Dean, “You okay?” “Just grand.” he said in a gruff voice, obviously not wanting to talk. “No need to get short with me.” I replied as I turned over in bed so my back was facing him.

That night I selt really well, all things considered, but I woke up to finding him in a cold sweat. He was muttering all sorts of things, like, “No, not my family.” “Sammy.” “I’m sorry.” “Tessa!” and a bunch of other inaudible things.

His nightmares had been getting worse for a long time, but he hadn’t had any in a while so I assumed that they were gone.

I felt so helpless to help him, almost like when he first met me…

He sat upright with a start, “No!” and I looked at him, gently putting my hand on his shoulder, “It’s alright.” I whispered quietly and he looked at me, blinked a couple of times then whispered, “Did I wake you up?” “No, I was up already. Was it another nightmare?” I asked stupidly and he nodded, “They were.” he embraced me, “I’m so glad they weren’t real. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost any of you.” he muttered, even more quietly than before and I nodded. “I love you.” I whispered and he gave me a small smile, “I love you too.” he replied back and I buried my face in his shoulder, “Everything’s going to be alright. Okay?” “Stop trying to make me feel better.” he said with a laugh and I rolled my eyes. “It will be, as long as we’re a family.” “Go back to sleep.” he said, obviously not believing me and I sighed. “I will if you will.” he gave small laugh and nodded, “Okay.”

He put an arm around my and that’s how we feel asleep…