Jenna Alsalam II - with facial expressions

Remember my first drawing about the sleeping girl ? Well , she's here again , and this time I remembered to add freckles which I forgot to draw last time

Remember my first drawing about the sleeping girl ? Well , she's here again , and this time I remembered to add freckles which I forgot to draw last time. This time , I took much much less shortcuts and put much much more effort into it ... drawing this was an adventure in of itself , and there's so much to talk about , I don't know where to begin ...

Okay , I'll try to keep this brief ... but before I begin , do me a favor and look at the drawing carefully . I want you to have an impression of it , and then read my notes so you can tell me if your impression matches what I was going for ...

The biggest hurdle for me was the skeleton on which the dimensions were based , I think I drew that thing three times based on the speed paint , to say nothing of the failed attempt that weren't recorded because I pressed the undo button as opposed to using the eraser . Another obstacle I encountered was the character's appearance , she wears a red hood as you can see , her appearance is similar to red riding hood . I was torn between having her covering her head with the cloak , or keeping it away so her ahoge ( the one loose strand of hair that looks like an antenna ) remains visible , which is something I couldn't ignore here because , as you can see , it also changes according to her emotions . After I got the skeleton sorted out and decided how the cloak will be like , I had to find out how to draw the cloak . This took me more than an hour , and even now I'm not exactly pleased with it . In some places , it looks fine , but for certain expression it looks like two bloody donuts on top of each other ! In case you were wondering, I relied on Xion from Kingdom Hearts for reference , specifically her Organization XIII art

The last difficult part I had was the arms and hands , and yes drawing hands has to be the most cumbersome thing I've ever done ! It's like someone with cross-eye trying to get a thread through the needle ! In fact , I think you already saw the left arm and cringed your intestines into a spiral , because what the hell even is that ?! I only noticed it now that I'm writing these notes , her arm looks so much thinner than the rest of her limbs ! It's an ABOMINATION !!! It's NOTHING like how she actually is or how I imagined her ! Poor Jenna , she must hate me for crunching her arm like that !

Huff ... huff ... okay , I need to calm down ...

That's about it for my frustration with drawing this , but believe it or not I actually had a lot of fun drawing this , despite my rant above . It's the most fun I had drawing, actually . I thought the facial expressions idea could help me draw one structure multiple times and smoothen my hands , and it worked . I feel like I can handle the face , eyes and hair much better now . I especially had so much fun drawing her face , thinking of why she would make these expressions and what sort of impression she would give to people she speaks with . And I was over the moon thinking I'm an absolute genius for using the ahoge to portray more emotion from her , seeing the strand droop down when she's sad or perk up when she's pleased . Having that strand become zigzagged when she's flustered , and having it twirl into a heart shape of sorts when she's in love . It was such a creative time , and I enjoyed every second of it .

Jenna's clothes , besides the red hood , were also very fun to draw . Adding patches to the cloak was something I did to portray how old and sentimental it was , it's actually a gift from her mother . The tulip on her dress is indicative of faith and devotion , or so I heard , something that defined a lot of Jenna's personality. Finally , there's Jenna's expressions , I wanted them to reflect a curious yet shy girl , someone who gets easily flustered and nervous , but still gentle and kind and easily fascinated . I hope I managed to convey this ...

Now for those who looked at the picture enough to develop their own interpretation of it , please tell me if what I wanted to convey matched what you thought Jenna was like , and if there's any room for improvement for me , thanks for the feedback in advance .

Oh and for some of the expressions I used the character Iroha Nijiue from Danganronpa Another 2 as a reference , particularly the face with Japanese characters... which basically reflects Jenna's  feeble attempt at making a poker face to hide her anxiety...

What else is left to talk about ... ? Oh , right ! The rest of her clothes .

See Jenna is a character in a fantasy setting , akin to Final Fantasy , and Star Ocean ( the one with the most similarities to Jenna's origin unwritten story ) , in other words she's a character inspired by JRPGs . To draw her dress , I used Farah Oersted's clothes as reference from Tales Of Eternia ( or Tales Of Destiny II ) , and the heavy-looking duffle bag around her neck is my own addition , and inside it she carries the necessary tools for her craft ( don't ask me why a froggo is sewn in it , I just thought it looked cute ) . Besides that , she has a slingshot ( visible in the open pouch in her belt ) and bombs ( she keeps them in the closed pouch ) , which she use to defend herself . Another thing she uses to defend herself is that scythe , which is the ONLY REASON I had to draw her hand !!! I would've much preferred to keep both her arms within her cloak , but I JUST HAD TO—!!!

Okay , I'll stop ...

Well , that's all I have to say about this drawing ... it was so much fun , even if I had my gripes with it . I hope you liked what you saw , and please let me know what you think about the painting overall ... and stay safe ...