CH-1 [A]

What do you all assume to be the toughest task in this entire world?

According to me, it is waking up early for school.

The annoyance you experience when you are pulled out of your blissful sleep and pushed towards facing the reality which is not even appealing.

But, if you have an elder brother, then life becomes a lot easier.

'Ha, you might want to rethink that.' My subconscious interrupted my seemingly boring monologue.

"ETHAN!!" I half whined and half screamed, the morning fatigue disappearing from my voice. My dearest brother, who we just spoke about, laughed at my misery. He was assigned the task of waking me up every morning. And the amount of patience he had was amazing.

I tried to pull the blanket all the way up to my face but before that, Ethan carried me up quite forcefully and in an uncivil manner and dumped on the couch. The sun rays fell from the window directly on my face, bringing me out of my sleep. This was the usual routine and we both were used to it.

It was a pleasant day. The chirping of birds blended with the faint rock music emanating from downstairs accompanied with the occasional clinks of utensils. The warm morning light peeking from the blinds had already healed the wounds of the dark night but still a frown remained on my forehead as I gave a death stare to my brother who was suppressing a smile.

"It's just 7:30, Ethan. Why did you wake me up this early," he raised a perfect eyebrow at my statement. His bright red hair was neatly styled and his green eyes held amusement.

"You school starts in an hour which means that your best friend will be here to pick you up in thirty minutes. And it's dad's order to wake you up before time." He knocked my forehead with his knuckles and in turn I grabbed his wrist and twisted it.

"Ow, that hurts, Sam," he winched. I smirked and stood up, rolling up the sleeves of my tee.

"Oh really-, then I think you have forgotten how my punches feel like, brother," I was about to show him my talent but he was quick enough to escape. That's what happens when a seventeen year old girl goes to throw a punch at a twenty two year old grown up adult.

"Ha, I am now immune to your physical abuse, " he gave me a smug look but suddenly he frowned as he stared at something behind me. I followed his line of vision and realized that he was scrutinizing the painting which was perched on the easel. It was a rainy day scene that I had painted a few days ago.

"There will be holes in my painting if you keep staring at it and-" I trailed off noticing a hint of confusion in his eyes. Turning back again, I searched for the source of interest which had my brother hooked and this time I found it.

"Oh shit!" I swore under my breath and before I could contemplate what to do next, Ethan was already walking towards the side table next to my bed.

"Hey, stop!" That did not work so I gripped his arm and pulled him but instead of stopping, he yanked my hand away. I quickly stood in front of him to block his path and a harsh glare was all I got.

"I told you to stop taking those," he pointed to the transparent pill container which rested on the table next to a half-filled glass of water. "Sleeping pills can cause harm; why don't you understand this."

"They cause harm only when taken daily and for a long term," I said in my defense.

He gripped my shoulders and made me sit on my messy bed. "Sam," he said, "Certain things, which no matter how rarely they are done, can become a habit and then a compulsion; that too in a short span of time."