୨⎯ 23 ⎯୧

- - -

I slowly entered the house with Zack right behind me. The house was a mess. The windows were broken and there were random things on the floor.

"Someone has been there" he said.

"You think?"

"No, I'm sure"

"We should go somewhere else" I suggested "But where... I mean we could go to my own house but it's the most obvious place to find us and-"

"Shush" Zack stopped me by covering my mouth with his hand "What if there's someone still in the house prepared to kill us" he slowly removed the hand from my lips.

"Yeah, right. Let's search it" I agreed.

I walked into the bedroom.

"Is anyone there?" I called out.

We searched through the whole house without finding anyone.

"This doesn't make sense" I started as we both sat on the couch "The person who was here was searching for something... But for what? And who even was here?"

"Maybe it was just a homeless" Zack shrugged.

"How are you so calm?!"

"And how are you always worrying about everything?! Take a break, goddammit!"

"I'm sorr-"

"Look at things things as they are, Y/n!"

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are"

"Bullshit" he scoffed.

"I just have a really bad feeling about this" I said and stood up "I'll just go to bed"

We both got ready for bed and eventually fell asleep.

"No! Stop! Stop it!" Zack screamed from sleep, waking me up.

"Hey! Zack, what's wrong?" I quickly sat up on the bed and placed my hand on his "It's okay. I'm with you"

"Oh fuck" he sighed.

"It was just a bad dream. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, of course I am. Just, go to sleep"

"Something is bothering you"

"Huh?"

"You've never had a nightmare when I was with you. Is everything okay? What's on your mind?"

He was quiet.

"Do you wanna talk? You know, I'm always here for you"

He was still quiet.

I looked at the time on the clock. It was 2:48 AM. I looked back at Zack and squeezed his hand.

He definitely wasn't alright. Something was bothering him, and it was my obligation to get it out of him.

"Wanna go for a walk?" I smiled at him.

"Fine" he got up.

"So..." I began as we walked down the highway "What was your dream about?"

"Why would you wanna know?"

It was so dark outside except for the moon. It was a full moon tonight. It was big and blue, just like the night we met.

"Because, I care about you" I held his hand.

"Tsch" he scoffed but surprisingly didn't let go of my hand.

"Everybody has a chapter they don't read out loud. There will be days when all you can do is breathe and that's all right. But remember, I'll always be here for you"

After a while of being quiet Zack spoke up.

"My stepfather" he said.

"Hm?"

"I had a dream about him, more like a flashback though. I was young and he held a lighter in his right hand. He poured gasoline all over me and lit me up just like a christmas tree" he spoke as we still walked.

That really happened to him. He told me in the buikding about this.

"I'm sorry you had to experience that. It doesn't get easier, but it gets better. You're so brave for making it this far and I love you for that"

He smiled at me. A genuine smile. Isaac Foster genuinely smiling, you don't see this often.

"Yo, thanks Y/n. That felt nice"

"Anytime" I smiled back.

"It feels so freakin' good to get somethint outta my chest!"

"Yeah, you should open up more"

"Fuck, no! That's goofy as hell! Now let's go home before we freeze up! For fuck's sake why didn't we change from our pajamas?!"

"I'll race you home!" I ran.

"No chance!"

- - -