- What do you mean? – I simply ask confused.

- Before I say anything, just hear me out first... –

- Allan. – I say more seriously, starting to get tired.

- It's about the suitor's situation. –

- Okay. – I say shortly.

- I think I know someone who would be perfect to marry Nymeria. – he says. I gesture for him to sit down on the chair, and he does. I don't say anything, waiting for him to elaborate. - Caleb. – he says a little anxious.

I thought he was going to say anyone else. He can't be serious. Caleb's the future Beta in Command, he can't marry Nymeria. He knows this, why would he suggest his son marry my daughter? They've known each other since kids, they're best friends. I give him a disapproving look, not agreeing with the idea.

- Hear me out. – he says but I interrupt him.

- He's the future Beta in Command, not some wolf from another pack. – I snark, it's foolish of him to suggest such a thing.

- I know, but he could... - he tries speaking but I stop him once again.

- He's the best wolf I've seen. – I tell him firmly.

- And he can be the best Alpha you've seen, by Nymeria's side. – he says with a serious tone. I look into his eyes, studying his every movement.

- Continue. – I say dismissingly, not convinced at all.

- I know he's the future Beta in Command. I've trained with him all his life; I know what he's capable of. You've seen him too. He's strong, smart, decisive... I think he would make an amazing Alpha. – he points out.

Caleb is an amazing wolf. He is strong and smart and decisive, just like Allan says. From a very young age, he started excelling at everything. By age 12, he was defeating wolves five or six years older than him. The kid is unnatural. It's only logical considering his parents and he's only grown better over the years. But that doesn't mean he's alpha material, he's been training for Beta all his life. I was happy and relieved when he won the tournament, I truly was. He's going to be the best Beta in Command this pack has ever seen.

- Fine, let's imagine I agreed to it. I'd be losing a great wolf for the next Beta in Command. – I told him gravely. - I'd only be weakening the pack. –

- No, you wouldn't because he'd still be helping from the Alpha position. – he says.

- Beta in Command and Alpha Male are different positions. Caleb's the best for the Beta, but I'm not so sure about the Alpha. There are more qualified wolfs for that. – I tell him respectfully yet firmly.

- Like whom? – he questions.

If wolves heard him, anyone would think he was challenging me. I know him so know otherwise, but he should watch his tone. He's allowed to talk to me like this when we're alone because we're friends and I care for him. If he did that in front of others, I'd have to scold him. He knows better than to challenge me in front of the pack.

- I don't know... - I admit.

- I know you're concerned for the future of this pack but trust me, Caleb has what it takes to be an Alpha. – he assures me. – You could make Dyrus the Beta in Command, Convel always wanted that. You'll have them both happy and Gregory can help you assign another Gamma. – he furthers the thought.

I sigh deeply, contemplating the idea. I don't know, Dyrus has great military training, he would be more useful as a Gamma, but he did always want to be a Beta. Convel trained him specifically for it, just like Allan trained his son. They pushed each other to become better and, in the end, Caleb won. I also have to consider the fact that we just settled. A military strategy won't be as essential because we'll no longer be raiding villages. We do have to protect ourselves, but that requires a different strategy. Allan's idea starts making more sense. It's still very risky, though.

RoguesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara