Silence in response wasn't something Arlo, or any of them, expected. Especially not from Felix, he was never short on words.

Even in the times they wished he was.

All eyes turned to the boy in question, a frown mirroring on each of their faces as they took in his blank expression. It was as if he hadn't heard Arlo, hazel eyes dull — dead even, as the gazed at the ceiling from where he lay on his bed.

"Fee?" Arlo called, eyebrows pulling inward as Felix's dead eyes moved to his. "You good?"

Felix tilted his head and stared at him in a unnerving way that made the hairs on Arlo's neck rise. His hazel eyes lingered for roughly four seconds, before they moved back to their previous place. Dull, dead, drained of all the mischievousness they'd grown silently fond of.

Rowan and Presley shared a troubled look, one that neither Leo or Oliver could understand. The eldest two had seen this side of Felix only once before, and it didn't bode well. That's a fact.

The nurse poked her head back in the room, giving Leo no chance to question the odd exchange as her eyes locked on Presley.

"Sorry to rush you, hun." She said it with sincerity, but the soft tone done nothing to calm Presley's rising unease. "We mustn't keep your visitor waiting any longer or you'll be late for therapy."

Presley's shoulders slumped as she sighed. She closed her eyes for a moment, wishing, hoping, praying for a way to stay locked in her own form of darkness. Rather than the shame filled darkness her visitor would no doubt bring.

A gentle squeeze to her clammy palm brought Presley's eyes to Rowan's. He stared at her with a mixed look of understanding and sympathy before he nodded. "You've got this. I'll be here when you get back."

Presley's lips curved downward. She took a side glance at Felix, her worry rising to the same height as her inner fear. "Fee..." she whispered to Rowan. She didn't want to leave him, not when he was like this. She couldn't.

"Has us," Rowan gestured to himself and their three friends.

He knew exactly what she was thinking, he felt it too. But, like the papa bear they often described him to be, Rowan would never admit his worries to her, not now at least — not when she had her own fears to face.

"Pres, he'll be okay. There's nothing you can do for him right now. We just need to give him some time and wait for it to pass. You know that as well as I do."

Slowly, she nodded and pulled her eyes away from Felix. "Just... take care of him. Okay?"

Rowan smirked. "Don't I always?"

Presley's lips lifted in amusement, the small smile quickly slipping as the nurse cleared her throat.

"Alright," she cleared her throat. Swallowing thickly, she wiped her sweaty palms on her thighs and turned to the nurse. "Um," she stammered, fidgeting with her fingers. "Who is it? That's come to visit, I mean."

Please don't be—

"Your brother." The nurse responded.

Of-fucking-course.

"Great." Presley's smile was tight as she felt her heart sink to her stomach. "Just fucking great."