"You must be wondering why we are gathered here." Maya began in a cold, collected voice. "This woman has committed a grave offense to the kingdom to which she would punished for." Maya continued in a dreadful monotone, her gaze pinned on her.

     "I didn't do anything!" Fleurie screamed, desperate for anything that would get her out of here, unable to hear above the ringing of her ears. Maya raised a brow at her words, looking amused.

   "You committed treason and you have the guts to yell that you didn't do anything?" She asked and Fleurie flinched. Then she glared hatefully at Maya.

    "You can't do this without the approval of the king!"

   Maya smiled wickedly. "But he already gave me his approval."

     The noblemen present in the scene had already begun murmuring to themselves, supporting Fleurie's claim. Maya slowly began getting angry but she tried to keep her cool, an indescribable look on her face. Brushing them off, she made to continue with her pronouncement when a guard bellowed with a loud voice. "All bow in the presence of the king!"

     Maya stiffened on the throne where she sat. Dexter had come. She hadn't been expecting him though she wanted him to be here with her. Still, she was glad he was here.

     Making a way between the crowd of people who parted at his presence, surrounded by soldiers,  He looked formidable as ever, oozing of authority and power, his handsome face drawn into a hard line. Her heart fluttered at the sight.

     Slowly but steadily, Dexter made his way to her, his eyes never leaving hers. Eventually he got to where she sat, and Maya resisted the urge to smile. The dangerous aura that seemed to scare people away from him clung to him but didn't frighten Maya in the slightest.

     "What's with all the ruckus?" He asked calmly, his cold voice sending tingles down her spine. Everywhere fell silent almost instantly, a chill settling in the whole arena.

     "Your majesty!" A voice called out and Maya recognized it to be the Gavin. "You can't possibly be letting this happen. The queen cannot be punishing people like this without going through the required procedures. We were not aware of this!"

    "Why can't she?" Dexter shot back, a brow raised. "If  it wasn't for her, I would have been dead." He then narrowed his eyes, pinning Gavin with a condescending stare. "Did you want me dead?" He asked and Gavin visibly shrunk, his body shaking with rage and humiliation.

    Dexter turned to Fleurie who was still kneeling down."This woman here tried to poison the king. She had been caught and she will be punished accordingly."

   "No, please..." Fleurie whimpered, her gaze blurred with tears as stared at the ground. Dexter glanced at Maya then. "What were you about to do?"

    "Um... Sentence her?" Maya replied quietly.

   Dexter sat down on the chair provided for him. "Go ahead."

     Maya bit back the smile that was trying to form on her lips before wearing the most viscous look she could muster, pronouncing coldly. " This will serve as not to anyone who tries to do this. Behead her."

    " No please!!! " Fleurie screamed as she dragged along.

    A soldier unsheathed his sword and placed it on her neck. One swing and her head was separated from her body, blood spilling everywhere. Everyone gasped. Her body slumped to the group, spurts of blood coming from her neck.

    Dexter glanced at Maya while Fleurie was being beheaded but the latter just stared at the scene, her face as hard as granite. He looked away, a corner of his lips curled up. His queen might be more unhinged than he thought.
.
.
.
      Nicholas watched the scene from the distance with a racing heart. The woman who had rescued him and given him a shot at revenge has just been beheaded. If she has been caught, it means they are unto him already.

     He couldn't believe the sight in front of him. The princess just watched someone lose her head. Is this how she's always been or did the king make her this way? Either way he knew, if she could sit through that without squirming, she wouldn't rest until he is caught. Pulling the hood over his head, he made his way out of the crowd, careful not to get noticed.

          His life is in danger.
.
.

.
     Maya and Dexter returned to the palace after Fleurie beheading. Going straight to the king's chambers, Maya let out the breath, closing her eyes. Dexter stood behind her, arms folded as she watched her fumble with her clothes.

   "We've figured who her accomplice was." Maya began. "It's Nicholas." She announced.

    "Are they looking for him already?" Dexter asked as he walked up to her, helping her to unbutton her gown,

    "Yes." Maya replied.

    "Are you alright?"  Dexter asked once he was done.

    "I'm not! I'm so angry right now... And a little scared." She turned to look at him. "How are you so calm about this?"

    Dexter stiffened at her words. "Does it look that way?" He asked. Maya nodded, slightly peeved.

    "I'm just as furious as you. I guess I'm not being visible with it. Plus, you've done what I would have done anyway so there's no need." He shrugged. "Just a little concerned about the consequences. Gavin would not be pleased about the death of his daughter. He may have treated her badly but it doesn't mean he wanted her dead, especially this way. This is going to be humiliating for him. He won't let it go."

    Silence fell and when Dexter glanced back at Maya, she looked uncomfortable. "Will there be a war?" Maya asked cautiously, fear sipping into her voice.

  Dexter shook his head, beckoning for her. She immediately reached for him. "I won't get that point. I'll make sure of it." He muttered, kissing her hair. Maya wrapped her hands around him, drowning in his scent and warmth.  His large hand settled on her back, patting it. She closed her eyes, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding. After a nerve wracking morning, it was nice to return back to his arms.

See you in the next chapter 🙈🙈🙈
Don't forget to vote!