Chapter 8

Brenna's POV

I'm a fighter, through and through. Most of the time I face issues head-on instead of running, but that is extremely difficult when the other person in the equation is clearly a runner.

No, Driver isn't a runner, he's a sprinter.

Tonight is my first fight after the incident and I am more nervous about coming face to face with Driver than the actual fight. I took a few days off from the gym to recover from my injuries and when I returned, Gus was there working the morning shift. I should not have cared, but realizing Driver is putting up a solid roadblock between us hurt more than I like to admit. 

"Hey, pretty lady," Smoke smiles at me as I set my bag down and begin putting my hair up.

"Hi," I respond with a smile. I still have no idea why I'm flirting with him when I have no actual feelings, but it feels nice to be distracted from the angry man-child that usually consumes my thoughts.

"It's good to have you back, these fights were starting to get boring without you."

"I only missed one week," I laugh as I unzip my hoody.

"And it was boring as hell," he laughs while flashing me his charming smile. "So, you wanna come to the clubhouse tonight?"

Shit, I completely forgot about him inviting me. Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea to go, I don't want to have any awkward run-ins with Driver.

"I completely forgot so I didn't bring any clothes to change into," I reply, hoping to get off the hook.

"Trust me, you'll be the prettiest girl in the room in your hoody and sweatpants."

"Well then, yeah, I should be able to make it," I smile. I didn't even think before answering him, but it felt nice to be complimented and appreciated. Maybe I am giving Driver too much power over me, he's moving on so clearly I should too.

As Smoke goes to start the first fight, I pull out my phone to make sure Brody will be okay watching Hazel for a little while longer than planned.

Me: Hey, I might go out to a bar with some friends after the fight. You good to watch Hazel?

Brody: Which friends? Which bar? How long? You going with a guy?

Me: Are you fucking serious?

Brody: You know I'm playing. I got her, go have fun.

The fight goes by quickly which I expected since the pot was so low. I figured Driver gave me an easy opponent for my first week back, which simultaneously pissed me off and sent butterflies in my stomach.

"Yo, Shorty is back!" Axe jokes as he, Gunner, Smoke, Bullet, Skillet, Driver, and a man I haven't seen before walk up to me.

"Here," Driver says as he shoves an orange envelope into my hands. That's a very polite way of saying 'thank you for making me a ton of money tonight, here's your cut,' but I guess he is a man of very few words.

"Shorty this is Bear, he's also a club brother," Gunner introduces. Now, I think I have met every member of their club since I have been fighting. Even the President stopped into the gym a couple of times to check up on Driver and 'watch the big dogs train' his words, not mine.

"Nice to meet you," I smile politely as I put my street clothes back on.

"You ready to go?" Smoke asks.

"Yeah," I reply as I zip my bag.

"Go where?" Driver asks, sounding annoyed.

"I invited her to the bar," Smoke replies for me.