I gave her the only reassurance I could. "You will save her daughter."

We will save her youngling, I amended in my mind. Kier was important, but the youngling took precedence. A part of me knew that from the time I laid eyes on her, even before I knew she was Rhodinian.

A fortnight passed, and we settled into a routine. Lani seemed to be a very quiet youngling, albeit curious. She did have a habit of yanking on Aanya's hair.

I did my best to help, but the cage bars proved difficult. The most I could do was try and entertain Lani through the bars to give Aanya some respite, but Aanya really did everything for the youngling. Fed her, played with her, changed her, snarled at the Szenists when they passed the corridor. A fierce protector.

At night, Aanya and I would talk. She'd tell me of Earth and her work there. She told me of her work in maar-ked-ing, but my mind didn't fully grasp the concept. I told her of my work as a warrior, defending Rhodin and travelling the universe with my team.

One night, before we were going to turn in, Aanya came over to the bars, holding a sleepy Lani. She rocked her in her arms.

"Do you want to hold her?" Aanya asked, voice soft.

I stared at her, speechless. Awe filled me. "You would give me that honour?"

"I think you've earned that by now." Aanya let out a twinkling laugh. The sound was so pleasing to my ears– I would endeavour to make her laugh more.

Lani blinked up at me, bleary-eyed. Through the bars, I brought a hand close, and she reached out, wrapping my thumb in her tight grip.

"Are you sure?" I asked, gaze flicking up to Aanya.

"I'm sure." Aanya nodded, trusting me with Lani.

With both arms through the bars, Aanya passed Lani to me.

"Make sure you support her neck," Aanya murmured before letting go. I knew to do that– Aanya tended to repeat instructions to herself without realizing it. Don't forget to keep washing your hands because Lani doesn't have a strong immune system yet, support her head and neck, never ever shake her, don't roll over onto her while you sleep. I thought that last one to be very unlikely, but Aanya still repeated it to herself.

I held the tiny being in my arms, her big blue eyes staring up at me like I was the centre of her universe. I rocked her slowly like I'd seen Aanya do.

Aanya opened her mouth, and the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard left her lips.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,

How I wonder what you are,

Up above the world so high,

Like a diamond in the sky.

When the blazing sun is gone,

When he nothing shines upon,

Then you show your little light,

Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveller in the dark,

Thanks you for your tiny spark,

He could not see which way to go,

If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,

And often thro' my curtains peep,

For you never shut your eye,

Till the sun is in the sky.

'Tis your bright and tiny spark,

Lights the trav'ller in the dark,

Tho' I know not what you are,

Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

"What was that?" I asked her, awe-struck for the second time today. Lani had fallen asleep in my arms while Aanya sang.

"Hm?" Aanya looked up from Lani. "Just an old lullaby. My mom used to sing it to me."

"Sing? Singing, that's what it's called?"

Aanya stared at me with a look I'd now come to recognize– one of disbelief at our many differences. "Don't tell me you've never heard anyone sing before."

✶ ☾ ✶

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Any predictions for what's coming up next? Thoughts on the chapter?

Comments and votes are much appreciated.

Virtually yours,

Ro