11 - Saturday, October 31

Start from the beginning

Still breathless, Sophia rushed over. "Oh, my god. Are you okay?"

Entwined in a mess of limbs and fabric, every chuckle made my sides ache more. The alcohol did little to steady me. "Oh, I'm great," I managed, still giggling. "Just a bit further from the pavement than I was aiming for. Honestly, why am I like this?"

"Good question." She pulled me upright, laughing. "Looks horrible. But I can't hold your hand and listen to you cry."

"Don't let my near-death experience keep you," I said, recalling the countless scraped knees of my childhood. "It's past your bedtime anyway. Just text me when you get home."

"Will do."

Brushing the dirt off my white puff sleeves, I watched her vibrant figure swallowed by the obsidian shadows of nighttime. A blissful smile clung, giving way to a melodic whistle as the refreshing night air kissed my skin. It carried with it the earthy aroma of autumn. And somewhere in the backdrop, a gentle chirping filled the air.

My eyes adulated the scenery. Walking through the park, I found myself stopping at the little pond, over time which had etched itself as one of my happy places. Each ripple was a dance of liquid starlight with the night sky reflected at me. It was the perfect ending to a great day, for I felt the world was intimately and solely mine. No matter how many times I had traced the length of the main street or circled around the park or walked by the houses—always with a sense of mild curiosity—I hadn't felt ready to call it a night.

Time meandered by, unbroken by the flow of my thoughts. Gradually, the sky stained with the amber and rose of dawn, painting the world in a breathtaking display of light and color. And though I had not slept, the freshness of the new day invigorated me more than an hour of sleep could have.

Hum of nature slowly gave way—a jogger rhythmically pounding the nearby path or a dog curiously sniffing its way through the surrounding greenery. Only the occasional chirp of a bird or the rustle of leaves underfoot served as a peaceful reminder of the natural world's unwavering resilience.

Lost in thought, my gaze wandered to two older women seated nearby, holding hands, their laughter filling the air with a warm sound. I had no idea who they were, why they were together, why one was cradled in a wheelchair, or anything else about them, but I quite enjoyed people-watching. Until another figure hijacked my attention.

Recognition initially flashed, only to fade as I realized that the face I believed I recognized, I actually didn't. Instead, it was a stranger bearing an eerie resemblance to one woman in my life.

Another figure trailed closely beside her. My curious stare did not remain hidden, for he quickly caught my eye and started running toward me, leaving his perplexed companion to chase his receding steps.

"Bird boy?" I called out, taking in the bandana ensconcing his golden locks and his assortment of accessories. "Where's your parrot, pirate?"

His laughter, such a sweet sound, arrived quicker than he himself. "Do you like my costume? And what are you? An elven princess?"

"Something along those lines." I nodded, grinning at his exuberance. "And look at you! Of course I like it. You look amazing."

"I got a bunch of candy last night! I'd give you some, but mom said it's too early for sugar," he said with a cheeky grin as he stepped closer, poking my elf ears. "Where'd you get these?"

The woman accompanying him offered a placid smile. "I'm sorry. I hope you don't mind. He's a curious kid."

"Not at all," I assured before refocusing on the boy. "I saw them at the store and knew instantly what I would be this year. And where'd you get yours? I swear I would've thought you were a real pirate if you hadn't told me it's a costume."