CHAPTER VII

CURSE OF A COFFEE MACHINE

“Jenny, a short black.”

“Jenny, long black please.”

“Jenny, I want hot chocolate.”

“Jenny, hot water.”

Another day, same old routine. I should’ve been used to it by now, since it’d almost been a week since I came to live in this mansion, occupied by the Adonis mafia boss and his underlings, but there were still some days I was surprised out of my wits. Luckily, today wasn’t one of them. Before going to class, I had to make sure all their drinks were made; otherwise there would be boo-hoo-hoo for the rest of the day, mainly from Bobby and Giovanni, complaining they couldn’t work until they had my magic potion, aka, my coffee.

But anyway, I felt so refreshed today. I’d finished all my chores and now was sitting contentedly in the lecture hall, writing down notes on Professor Henry’s lesson. His voice boomed and boomed; I was sure half the student population must have gone deaf already. But I didn’t care about this.

I was in my own world. I hardly had days when I could relax easily. So, I was taking it all in, enjoying the time I had left before that devil mafia boss interrupted me again. Last week, when he called me at three in the morning just to make him one small cup of flat white, I’d ended up with panda eyes the size of golf balls. I had to wear sunglasses the whole day.

Thankfully, my friend Crispin didn’t see me in that attire. Speaking of Crispin, he was pleasantly sitting beside me, jotting down notes, too. I wasn’t even sure when he’d arrived. He seemed to just appear in my peripheral, sometimes.

“Jenny,” he called. I swirled around to face him, giving him my lazy smile. Crispin had brown hair, hazel eyes, and wore glasses. His face was full of freckles, unlike mine, with only small amounts on my nose and cheeks. Crispin was tall, though. Standing at my full height, I only reached his shoulders. He was handsome in a cool, conservative way. I always teased him about not having a girlfriend hanging around his neck. He always teased me about not having a boyfriend, too.

“Mmm, what is it?” I asked, seeing that frown again. These last few weeks, Crispin seemed to always appear before me with a frown.

“You’re frowning again. Stop. It makes you look old. And you know girls in college don’t like guys who’re wrinkled.” I pressed my thumb on this forehead to smooth it.

“Why are you so happy today, Jenny?” he asked instead, ignoring my advice and removing my thumb from his forehead, only to grasp it between his fingers.

“And where were you Friday? I called over at your house, but it was locked up. I tried calling your phone, but you didn’t pick up, either.”

I cringed and thought back on my sad, sorry life. I didn’t have the heart to tell him my house had been put into foreclosure. Giovanni had taken possession of it and wouldn’t let me live there. I had to stay at his mansion in my closet room until the three million had been paid off.

“I moved,” I told him cheerfully, extracting my thumb from his grasp.

“Somewhere closer to the university. Sorry for not telling you. It was hectic with the move.”

“You should have called me. I could have come over to help.” Crispin held an expression that clearly showed he was hurt.

“Ah, so sorry. Don’t be upset.” I hurriedly pacified him. “It was a very quick decision. I didn’t mean to let it slide. I just forgot, that’s all. I was going to, seriously.”

“You don’t have to look all flustered.” He chuckled. “I was only teasing. Haven’t we been friends since high school? You should know how I feel about you.”