Explanations, Grapes & Persephone

[EDITED]

DEDICATION for my current cover.

My dress was white, so bright that my eyes hurt to see it. My brown, vaguely wavy hair had been straightened and brought to a shine. The dress pooled on the floor at my feet, and with the impractical sandals I was wearing everything became a trip hazard. I stumbled once or twice. I guess beauty has its side effects, or whatever.

I sat at a long table laden with food. I was surprised it was still standing. It smelled delicious, but I wasn't sure if I could eat it or not. It might be reserved for royalty or something.

The kidnapper sat opposite me. He looked at me expectantly, as if he wanted me to gain weight. As if. I had a body to keep, and no way was he ruining it. Unless he made me.

"Eat." He instructed, pointing downwards at the table.

"Not until you tell me who you are," I said, looking directly at him. I needed to know, even if he was crazy like the rest.

His black eyes studied me. "I am Hades, Lord of the Dead and Ruler of the Underworld."

I sighed. "No such thing as gods," I informed him. "What's your real name?"

"Why would I say, even if I had one?" 'Hades' challenged me. "Just humour me. Call me Hades. Or Lord Hades, if you prefer."

"No, I don't. Okay, let's pretend that this is real and the gods are real and everything." I sighed again. Tonight was going to be long, by the looks of it. "What about Persephone?" 

"Are you still taught the myth of Persephone?"

"No, I read." I glared. "Are you implying I don't?"

"Not by the looks of it so far," muttered Hades. "She's faded."

"Wait, what was she the goddess of again?"

He looked at me sadly and replied, "I guess...the springtime. Also my Queen. People ruined her realm. Most minor gods have faded. She has left me here, and I need a wife to stabilize my power."

I choked. "But-"

"I will return you if you don't want to stay."

"My family." I whispered. Tears welled up in my eyes, and a part of me wanted to return home. It longed for me to just take him up on that, lie down on my bed and go to sleep. SO I could wake up, and this would all be a dream.

"They will forget."

"Everyone?"

"Yes."

I knew the story of Persephone. Hades kidnapped her. Demeter was engulfed by grief, and caused winter. Eventually the gods found her and demanded her back. A gardener though, had witnessed her eating four pomegranate seeds and told Hades. They bargained, and thus divided the years: 6 months with her mother,  6 months with Hades.

Kinda sad if you ask me. But now, in a weird way, it was happening to me. Would I end up like that?

A wave of dizziness engulfed me, followed by a sharp clarity. Suddenly everything made sense. He needed me, and I was going to stay. Maybe I could even love him.

i looked him directly in the eye, picked up a grape and ate it.h Hades stood, walked over to me, and caressed my face. Everything felt right in that moment.