Chapter 3

HER

I kept massaging Lydia's scalp as she slept on my lap hugging her soft toy Cuddly. The smile on her face brought a smile on my face too but Neha and Fari Di's words still worried me. I know I will never give marriage another chance but what about Ray? What if he wants to move on? He has every right to move on in life and bring a new life partner. If so will he still be able to give Lydia the love and care he's been giving now? Tomorrow he may have other kids too from his partner...what will he do if his partner would want to give her kids more love and will my Lydia crave for father's love? Will my Lydia be ready to accept a stepmother and half siblings?

My head started aching at the thought of it. When suddenly I saw Ray offer me a glass of lemonade and I looked at him. He smiled and said 'Returning favours!!! You had two glasses of wine and you know alcohol doesn't suit you either!!!' saying he sat next to me and slowly started caressing Riya's head. And like magic she realised her father's touch and drifted from my lap onto his... grabbing his thigh and my eyes widened while he chuckled and picked her up and made her face lie in the crook of his neck and started patting her back.

I rolled my eyes. He has been doing this since Lydia was a fifteen day old child. The reason why my daughter never slept in a cradle or a crib. Her father has spoilt her to be his princess.

'She is going to be eight soon Ray!!! You must stop carrying her like she's a baby. You'll end up having a backache' I said trying to place all her Christmas presents in the bags. He looked at the mess and asked

'Soft toys again??? She can practically open a toy store now!!!' he commented and I chuckled saying 'What's the use? She still hugs onto her Cuddly!! That white teddy bear is practically turning brown now! I don't think washing it now helps either. It's started loosing it's softness too but your daughter is too stubborn to let it go!!!' I said handing him her cuddly which was a off-white colored palm size teddy bear. My Lydia's first ever toy that Ray got for her. My daughter is super possessive about it.

Ray grinned saying 'After all who gifted it to her? Hmm!!!' he said wiggling his eyebrows and I chuckled and sipped the lemonade silently.

'Walk???' he asked and I nodded. I wasn't feeling sleepy either. Everyone had gone to bed. Clock was ticking almost 2:30 am in the night and we were roaming in the Fari Di's vegetable garden when Ray said

'Our daughter maybe naughty...a big mouth but certainly values relationships a lot Riya!!! Now that maybe trying to hide Ava in the hide and seek game while being ok to have got caught herself but protecting her little cousin or keeping her 5 years older shabby looking teddy bear with her. She values relationships more and that's what I wanted my daughter to learn and imbibe as an individual. She's growing into being a good human being Riya although a little too talkative. Guess what she threatens Uncle Al that if he finds her in hide and seek then she's going to call him Grandpa!!! Imagine her guts!!!' he said laughing and I chuckled too. Suddenly we felt Lydia shifting in Ray's arms and he slowly cradled her in his arms and patted her back.

I could see him groaning. It makes him tired. She's growing up but the stubborn overprotective father that he is... doesn't want to accept the fact. I smiled looking at their bond but again my mind went back to Neha and Fari Di's words and my smile vanished as worry clouded my mind. I looked at Ray but couldn't gather the guts to ask him that question. I didn't have the rights to question him about his personal life. I was no longer his wife. We spoke about stupid nonsensical topics but couldn't speak about our personal space. We both respected each other's boundaries and I didn't know if this question was within my limits or not.

Suddenly Ray said 'Hey Riya heard our college gang is meeting tomorrow for a coffee at 11 am. Cyril pinged me sometime back. Wanna join?' he asked and my lips parted. It's not like I didn't like his friends but they never liked me much. Ray was my senior and his friends treated me like a kid and always bullied me. I didn't like their company much. I was thinking when Ray said