Chapter 17

HER

'Its not a deep cut Mrs D'Cruz but it's good that you called for me. We don't want to take chances of infection so I'm giving her a tetanus' said the doctor to FD who looked extremely worried looking at the scar on my neck. The man who treated me was the visiting doctor for customers at Ray's hotel. He prescribed me a pain killer in case the stinging increases and asked me to keep away from water and change the bandage regularly. He smiled and left.

My Lydia left Roy's little finger and came closer to me trying to examine my neck carefully. She had seen bandages but had never seen one on me or Ray. She looked scared and worried. With teary eyes she asked 'Mumma does it hurt?' and I smiled with tears and kissed her chubby cheek saying 'No my love...Mumma is fine...don't worry okay?'. She nodded but slowly touched my neck carefully and then rested her head on my shoulder saying 'I love you Mumna'. I could feel my child was scared for me. I kissed her head saying 'I love you too my Chand Baluu (beautiful child)' I said as tears rolled down my cheeks which finally met the man who was staring at me while standing near the door with arms folded against his chest.

Trying to hide his tears he left the room and I closed my eyes crying at my fate. My foolishness. I didn't know what and all I should cry for... There was so much I had lost all along.

Probably noticing my helplessness Alice Mumma walked towards me and carried Lydia in her arms saying 'Come to HodliMai (granny) Bala (child)...Mumma got Bui on her neck na. She needs to rest after taking medicine' she slowly caressed Lydia's head and my little Lydia looked at my crying face and wiped my cheeks with her little hands and asked her grandmother 'Gammy is Mumma crying because of the injection? Even Lydia hates injections. But Dadda says it is important so you don't fall ill again Mumma. It may hurt now but it will slowly heal!!! Promise' saying she pinched her neck and I nodded and burst into more tears when Neha rubbed my back trying to console me.

That's when Alice Mumma said 'Mumma needs to sleep darling and little Lydia needs to eat breakfast. Come...Gammy will make Lydia's favorite pancakes...' but my little child did not look excited at all. Alice Mumma looked worried when Lydia didn't want to leave me...her mother alone. That's when Neha signalled something to Avita and she quickly came along saying

'Ly baby...See your little sister is so naughty. She did not even drink her milk. Who is going to make Ava drink milk now?' she tried to divert her mind but my little girl was still staring at my bandage as she said 'Aunt Avita can you please ask Felix to do it. Mumma got Bui. I have to be with her.' and my heart went for my little girl. I made her sit on my lap and fed her pancake while she fed me a few morsels and then I made her drink milk. I needed some privacy right now to be alone and looks like everyone understood it. I hugged Lydia to my chest and lied down on the bed. Slowly my little girl fell asleep but I was still unable to sleep.

Flashback begins...

'Riya believe me!!! I didn't do anything!!!' Ray begged as I started packing my bags. This time forever. He kept pacing around trying to explain me that he wasn't at fault but my eyes didn't stop pouring and my heart felt broken.

He grabbed me by my hand and stopped me as he yelled 'Why can't you trust me Riya? I swear I didn't do anything.'

'Then what was that doctor saying Ray? The girl had a physical examination. She slept with you. You had sex with another woman Ray-'

'I DID NOT!!! I swear Riya' saying he broke into tears falling on his knees hugging my seven month pregnant baby bump as he whispered against it

'I dont have any proofs to prove I am innocent Riya. It's only your faith. Please trust me. I swear darling. I was always yours. I don't even know that woman. All I remember was, I threw a party last night but I was sad because you weren't with me. I was angry yet upset for a silly fight we had and because you left to Mangalore. I wanted to call you but my silly ego didn't let me do that baby and so I was drinking. But believe me Riya. I had just two glasses of scotch. And I was the host so I was drinking slowly. It is impossible that I get so drunk...and that woman...all I remember was I wasn't able to stand properly and she said 'She will help' and the next thing I know is-'