After | 25

There was uproar among the Fatui Harbingers as their leader had been bested. Now it was time for them to adjust their future plans, planning to still act upon the Tsaritsa's wishes, although they would have to go about it differently.

Ajax had found this out before he lost his position as 11th Harbinger. That meant there were even fewer Harbingers left as La Signora had passed, Scaramouche was now working for himself and of course, Ajax was now just Ajax.

He had filled you in with the details after this had happened and you only could open your arms to him. There was a reason he had stayed in the Harbinger alliance for such a long time and you knew it would be a heavy loss to him to be apart from it now but at the same time, it meant he was free now. Free to be completely himself without having to have a side to stay on... Not that he played that role easily.

You had made your way back to Liyue with Ajax, deciding that staying in Snezhnaya after the commotion you had created wasn't the best of ideas. As you arrived back in Liyue, it felt a lot different. Remembering your past in this city opened your eyes to each and every detail you had missed before. You had memories with people you hadn't seen in years here, people who you were close with yet your connections with them had been severed.

You had been lucky to meet Zhongli again when your memories were lost...but knowing what/who he truly was made you wonder if he knew the moment you stepped in Liyue if he had been watching you from the sidelines. It made your heart squeeze gently at the idea that he possibly cared for you like that as emotions when it came to that man were hard to navigate.

Thinking of this man made you reminisce in memory of him and you, a day he had brightened your mood when Ajax had been away on business.

"Watching the sun set and rise each day will not make his arrival come quicker," Zhongli spoke from behind you, spooking you slightly as if you hadn't noticed him. You wondered how long he had been there.

You looked over your shoulder, smiling gently. "I like to imagine it does."

He nodded, his serious golden eyes fleeting ahead to the setting sun. "I do understand," he spoke softly--unlike himself, usually his voice held a monotone-ness to it. "For days drag, weeks pull, years kill, but our hearts only beat on."

You tried to study the Archon's face, though it had always been difficult to do. Even though you knew his identity, it didn't really help to read him--you didn't know what his thoughts were or if he had pains behind those serious eyes. You could only guess by the words he spoke. From the sentence he gave and he 'understood', he must have someone that made him feel that way inside, someone he missed dearly. It wouldn't be something you would ask about, you didn't like to pry into his matters. It seemed rude...but at the same time, you wondered if he needed to talk.

You stayed quiet for a moment, turning back to the sunset. You let a quiet sigh leave your lips, resting your head on your knees that were pulled to your chest.

After a few seconds, you felt Zhongli shift behind you, settling next to you in a cross-legged position, his back straight and arms folded too.

You smiled inside at his posture. He was what you imagined a human-form God to be like straight-laced, prim and never-letting when it came to discretion. He was too perfect of a human to be human too, which shocked you that humans, in general, didn't think weirdly of him and become interested in his proper-ness.

You both stared off into the orange glow, silence floating around you. It was nice, peaceful and full of safety. His being there next to you made you feel less alone too and you wondered if he felt the same having your presence next to him.

"Zhongli," you murmured lowly, continuing to watch the view.

"Yes, Y/N," he replied, his voice calming.