-54-

the prison falls

the prison falls

SCARLETT WALKED OUTSIDE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A WEEK. The sun on her skin felt amazing as she twirled slightly. Carl laughed at her giddy optimism, but she only gave him the finger in return. She was happy.

She fell into the grass, staring at the blue skies above.

"Come lay with me, Carl!"

Carl groaned before doing what she asked. He laid there, letting her hand grab his. His eyebrows furrowed as he felt a ring on her finger that was not there before. Lifting her hand up, the shadow covered his face, but he could see the shining diamond in the sunlight.

"He actually did it. Didn't think he would," Carl commented. "It's pretty."

Scarlett turned her head to him, smiling wide. "You think so?"

"Yeah. Like you," he teased.

Scarlett rolled her eyes, sitting up so she could look at him properly. "You're not mad?"

"Nah, he asked me about it before he did it. He wants this. I know you want it. I'm okay with it, really. I don't think... I don't think I can call you Mom, but I know Jude will. That's okay, too."

"I don't want to replace Lori, Carl. I'm just tryin' to do the right thing," she whispered. "Only want what's best for you 'nd Jude."

Carl grinned, shoving her back. Her mouth opened in shock. He laughed as he stood, gesturing with his hands for her to get up. "What? Too old for a game of tag? Now that you're engaged. Bleh!"

Scarlett squinted at him, her nose scrunching up playfully. "You're on, Sheriff Ass-Kicker!"

Carl's laughter filled the courtyard as she chased after him. A few people were outside laughing at them, but it was a beautiful scene. It was peaceful compared to what they had been dealing with.

Scarlett caught Carl with a laugh.

Her body covered his as she was getting ready to tackle him.

His giggles were something that was pure innocence in this stupid world.

An explosion went off next to them.

Scarlett was glad she was holding onto Carl, for a piece of debris pierced her arm causing her to shout in pain as the pair flew a few feet across the courtyard.

Scarlett felt someone help her stand, and she noticed it was Rick. Daryl helped Carl up as they turned to see who was banging on their door—literally. Scarlett's eyes widened as she saw her Daddy and the Governor standing on a tank.

"Mother fu—"

Scarlett felt Daryl tying something on her arm above the wound. She grit her teeth together as he pulled out the piece of fence. She noticed it was his belt that was tied. He soon tore a piece of his shirt, tying it around the wound. Putting his belt on, he nodded at her when she said a quiet thank you.