-05-

the caravan

the caravan

THE REST OF RICK'S GROUP SHOWED UP THE NEXT MORNING. Scarlett argued heatedly about letting the rest of them shower and eat a hearty breakfast. They had been on the road an extra night, and it was only going to get worse for them as they tried to find a little girl named Sophia. Scarlett did not understand why Hershel was so against these people, but his Christian heart would not send them away. Scarlett felt she was being a kinder Christian than he was, and she did not practice any religion.

Andrea, Dale, Carol, and Daryl were those who showed up. Scarlett took an immediate liking to Daryl. His rough exterior and redneck drawl made him seem scary, but she was actually used to this. Sure he was a man, and that was scary all in its own; however, he had a heart. She knew that just from the first five minutes when his first words to them were asking about the boy and what they could do to help find Sophia. Two little kids that weren't his, and he was worried.

He also was the only one to deny a shower immediately. He wanted to get searching, but Maggie told him plainly that if he wanted breakfast he needed to wash up. He almost cursed her out, but Scarlett stood and gave him a glare that could kill before pointing at the bathroom. When he did not listen, she walked up to him, grabbing his crossbow out of his hands and shoved him. Maggie laughed, never seeing Scarlett take a man into her own hands like she did.

Daryl might've cursed her out, but he was sitting at the table smelling like fucking strawberries while eating waffles that morning. He could suck it, she figured.

"Scarlett found some weapons at the station. She gave us some extra ammo, so we'll be better prepared if we need to use 'em," Rick told the group as they began planning Sophia's rescue. They were getting organized as Hershel gave them a county map. It was laid across a truck hood, letting everyone get a good view of it. Daryl would go out searching with Rick while Shane drove back to the interstate to check. Scarlett offered to go, but Rick and Hershel told her no because she gave too much blood.

She huffed out, blowing her hair up. Rick laughed quietly at the action.

Whistling again, she caught Daryl's attention. She saw he had a gun on him, though he preferred his crossbow. Grabbing the gun without asking permission, (ignoring his curse words) she examined it and went into her stock of rounds. She gave his gun back with extra ammo.

"You mute or somethin'? They told me not to ask," Daryl muttered, putting his gun in his pants. She did not answer. "Ya know yer way 'round guns though. Could use ya to find the lil' girl."

Rick walked over to talk to Daryl. "She gave too much blood, man. Saved my boy."

"Don' care. We need all the help we can get. Don' see none of these other goodie two shoes offerin'," Daryl scowled.

Scarlett went to whack Daryl's arm with a glare but he dodged it while shaking his head.

Daryl huffed. "She don' talk, but she's irritating." Rick and Scarlett shared a smile.

"Hershel don't want us carrying on the farm. You carry even though he don't like it?" Rick asked her. Scarlett nodded. "I'll take it. Makes me feel a bit safer." She rolled her eyes at his teasing comment, walking back to the farm. "Rest!"

She chuckled, not looking back at the man. Rick and Daryl. Rick, Daryl, and Carl. They made her feel happy in such a short period of time. Scarlett did not understand why.

Walking around to inspect the camp site the travelers put up, she noticed one of the tents was not put up properly. Rolling her eyes, she began to fix it. She wiped sweat off of her forehead as she made the corrections. After she was sure the tent was okay, she figured she should check the others. Glancing around, she did not see an older man sneak up behind her.

"Checking for any contraband?" he teased.

Scarlett gave a hesitant smile as she pointed to the loose nail holding the tent down. He tsked as she went to fix it.

"I'm Dale. You're Scarlett, right?" she nodded, blowing out a huff of air as she made sure the guests' tents were good. Her next job was getting the campfire going. She knew Hershel had a pit, so this group could use it since the Greene's were inside. Dale followed her, helping her move the pit. "You're a real kind woman, Miss Scarlett."

Scarlett gave him a look as if to ask if he would do it for anyone else if the positions were swapped.

"I think I'd be a good man, helping out people. Some of us wouldn't be so nice, though. You're just a great gal," he commented as she got some logs together and got them set up. She soon saw the woman who lost her daughter coming toward her. "Carol, have you met Scarlett?"

Carol extended her hand to shake Scarlett's, but Dale shook his head. "She takes some time to warm up to people."

"I was actually going to ask her a question," Carol mumbled as she let her hand drop. "Is there any lines for clothes?"

Scarlett's eyes lit up. She loved doing laundry. It gave her something to do, but it was still work enough that she felt she was contributing. It did not hurt to do small things sometimes. She did not always have to hunt or go on runs. She waved her hand to get the woman to follow her. Before she got too far, she turned and grabbed some of the group's buckets. Motioning to Dale, she pointed at the wells across the land. She held up a number one or two to let him know which wells to use.

"Thank you," Dale said with a nod as she turned to lead Carol to where they did laundry.

Carol watched Scarlett's method to washing clothes, thinking it was something the girl genuinely enjoyed doing. "This is a real nice system you got going." She began to wash a little girl's dress.

Scarlett pointed at the dress and gave a look of pity.

"Hey, we'll find her," Carol said with a nod. "Daryl and Rick's getting things organized. I even heard you were willing to help. We'll find her."

Scarlett nodded. She would go out and help tomorrow. They were going to find the little girl.