-03-

the voice of an angel

SHANE AND RICK WALKED OUT OF THE HOUSE, FOLLOWED BY OTIS. Maggie already was on her way to find Lori while Jimmy went to bug Beth. Scarlett whistled, catching the attention of the three men. Her nerves spiked seeing three large grown men walking toward her, but she took a deep breath, knowing her Python was right there.

She held out some ammo she knew Otis would need before gesturing to the truck for Shane.

"Where'd you get all this?" Shane asked with an impressed raise of his eyebrow.

Otis looked at her for an answer, and he asked, "Police station?" She nodded.

Shane grabbed ammo for his gun he already possessed. He looked at Rick. "Need ammo for your Python?" he asked with a laugh, not seeing this much ammo in a while.

Scarlett rose her brows. She pulled out her gun, looking at Rick and gesturing with her head for him to do the same. Rick pulled out his own, showing they were the same type of gun. She smirked, tossing him a box of ammo.

"You sure?" he asked. "You've done a lot for us already. I don't know how to thank you, Miss Scarlett."

Scarlett bit her lip to hold back a smile, zipping up the duffle bag to bring it inside. Once it was on her shoulder, she did not realize how heavy it was. She wobbled on her feet, Shane grabbing her to keep her straight. As soon as his arms touched her, she had her gun aimed at his forehead with a clenched jaw to hold back tears.

Otis stepped in front of Shane.

"Aye, Scarlett. C'mon, he didn't know. They ain't hurtin' ya. Swear it," he soothed. Her hands shook. "C'mon."

Once Scarlett's breathing calmed down, she grabbed the duffle she dropped, threw it back into the truck because she could not be bothered with it at the moment, and limped into the house without another look at the three men.

"What the hell?" Shane muttered.

Otis sighed. "Just... Just no one touch her unless ya ask. She don' talk and don' like to be touched because of past stuff. Wouldn't be righ' if I told y'all, but her Daddy wasn't a good man. That's all I'll say. You ready, Shane?"

Shane nodded, hugging Rick one more time.

Otis glanced back at Rick. "Just keep an eye on Scarlett. Make sure she don' run off in the woods this late. When she gets an episode like that, she tends to run."

"Got it," Rick promised, figuring the least he could do for this guardian angel is keep an eye on her. He was saddened to hear about her traumatic life, but he hoped she would be okay with them being here for the time being.