Chapter 3

It feels weird waking up in a different place. I'm not used to hearing birds singing or the smell of morning around here. It's nice, a mix of pine trees, cold air and something else I can't describe.

I shower and get dressed in jeans and a warm jumper, then slip on my Converse and put my coffee in a travel mug as I head out the door, silently congratulating myself for getting ready in record time.

Mum wanted to make a positive first impression at her new job, so she headed to work early this morning, and I told her I was more than happy to walk to school. Honestly, I don't mind, it's only a twenty-minute walk, and the crisp autumn air is bracing and gives me a chance to clear my head.

At least there's one thing that's remained a constant for me. I'm still disturbed by nightmares every night. It's not like I remember them, I can just tell I've had them by the cold sweat I wake up in and my hoarse throat from screaming. It's obvious I'm early when I arrive at school, barely anyone's here and I can see teachers arriving.

I spot Louise, Maia and the others sitting and a bench and jog over to them, smiling.

"Hi, guys!" I call

"Marcie!" Maia exclaims and embraces me in an unexpected hug.

"Hey, Maia, what's with the hug?" I chuckle.

"Louise told me about Gray's interest in you. I feel bad. We're probably the only girls in the school who don't melt on the spot when we see those three"

"Also, Maia's supplied us with enough gross stories about them when they were younger to turn us off for life," Alex calls out.

It already feels easy with these four, like I've known them for way longer than a day. It's nice and I don't feel awkward or like I'm intruding on their group. Though Jasmine hasn't talked much yet, I get the feeling she's just a quiet person. Time flies, and after what feels like seconds the bell rings and I internally groan. I'm about to reach into my bag to check my timetable before Maia stops me.

"Don't bother checking. The seniors have PE first and second period Wednesdays," Maia groans.

I begrudgingly get up along with the others and try to distract myself from the fact that Gray will be there. God I need to calm down, I'm sure he just wanted to tease the 'new girl' yesterday and will be bored of it by today. It'll be fine.

We make our way towards the girl's changing rooms, and I'm grateful that the school supplies PE kits. We gossip amongst ourselves as we change for PE. According to Maia, the PE teachers rarely show up in this school, so everyone usually changes into the uniform in case the teachers do decide to grace us with their presence and hang out in the gym.

The uniform isn't awful, black shorts and a green top with the school logo. We all walk into the gym, devoid of teachers, and cluster on a bench at the edge of the court. 

"Gray's staring at you," Maia whispers

"Why? I just met him yesterday."

"It is odd, he usually just bangs and goes, but he seems to be taking an interest in you."

"Nah, I bet he just wants to get in her pants and is bothered by the fact that she isn't kissing the ground he walks upon," Louise declares

I crack up laughing and glance at Gray, and, as if he can sense my gaze Gray turns away from his friends and stares back, smirking. Why does he always smirk? What's so funny?! 

He chuckles and looks away. Did I say that out loud? No, there's no way he could have heard me...

"Hello? Earth to Marcie?" Maia waves her hand in front of my eyes, and I'm interrupted from my thoughts.