Chapter twenty three

Start from the beginning

The second is a short video of a flute and some bard magic, it doesn't have a title and even though they aren't shown on the screen I know they're the one playing it. I replay the video again and again and again.. I've already seen it hundreds of times over but I keep playing it because if I concentrate hard enough it feels like they're almost there. 

I've only seen the last photo once, when I saw it I had to power my scroll off. It's a picture of them, in their Raven Watcher uniform, and... and me, the golden guard. I don't remember the picture being taken, I was in further in the background, not even facing the camera.. But I was facing them, y/n... The caption was "look who finally made a friend" I can't tell who they were talking about, but it was too bittersweet.

I close their penstagram, unable to bear the sight of it any longer, why do I feel so lost now? 

I'm walking through the castle, I don't know how I ended up here but I'm outside their old room. I open the door slowly, knowing that I'm not going to find anything. Most of the room is the same, a few objects have been cleared out by the coven scouts, their precious collection of wild magic books are scattered over the floor, their flute has been knocked off a shelf and lies discarded on the ground, slightly cracked. Most of the potions and other magical items have been taken away and confiscated. Soon this whole room will be emptied and a new scout will move in.

I close the door behind me and sit down on their bed, remembering the times we would read books together and when they once rested their head on my shoulder. How could someone so perfect deserve to be petrified? What did they do that was so wrong.. I know I'm meant to hate them like any other wild witch but I can't bring myself too. 

When y/n vanished after the recruitment day at Hexide, I recognized Belos's magic, his is red just like the magic from my staff, so I knew something was wrong. I ran back to the castle but no-one had seen either of them. I ended up going to the throne room and tried to stop Belos from harming them. So he hurt me instead.. Why does it still feel like I did the right thing by saving y/n? If Belos thinks they're not a good person they mustn't be..

Before I've even thought it I know it's not true. Y/n is a good person, I have so many reasons as to why. They've always offered me help on missions, they've always listened to me when the coven heads wouldn't, they've always been there for me. Belos must have made a mistake, there is no way y/n is in the wrong-

"C'mon flapjack," I say, realizing the bird has left my pocket, "we've got to go talk to Belos- I mean, Uncle Belos..." That name doesn't sound right anymore, Uncle Belos.. I don't know how to explain it, it's just wrong.

Flapjack's standing on the top of their chair, pecking at the strap of their satchel. It's hanging on the back of the chair, I curiously stand up, dusting off my pants, and make my way over to it. I usher the cardinal away and pick up the bag. Flapjack makes a startled sound and darts into the open flap. 

"Woah, don't do that Flap, that's their private stuff." I say, but it's too late, he struggles to pull out a book twice the size of himself. I help him get it out, and go back to sitting on their bed. It's a leather book, a yellow eye emblazoned onto the centre resembling the portal door somewhat. Flapjack pushes it open, I feel bad for prying but I'm too curious to put the book down.

The first page says "Evelyn's journal, keep out"  Underneath someone has crossed out the words "Keep out Phillip" and there's something like a love heart with the name "Caleb" in it. I roll my eyes. Who is Evelyn? Why does y/n have her journal? Besides this just looks like some random kid's diary.