Chapter 30: Mae Kazimi

I take forty-five minutes to get ready and by the end of it, I know I've won my mothers approval. The dress she got me is red, almost crimson like blood. It's sleek like silk and sparkles like the stars. I love it, I really do, but every time I look down it's like blood everywhere.

All over my body.

Our venue looks beautiful, the set up way beyond what I expected. We find Fayyaz's parents in one of the rooms upstairs, a designated office for the high level employees.

"My dear! Mae!" I hear his mothers squeals and then the rest of it is a blur. His mother kisses my cheeks, and I remember worrying about her bright lips leaving a stain on my cheeks. I think Fayyaz's father was glaring at me the entire time and I swear I saw his wife pinch him twice in the arm to make him smile. Fayyaz was not even there, or maybe he was. I didn't look for him.

It's 11 PM now, and the party is in full swing. My parents are in another lounge with the adults, probably sipping chai and talking about business. The rest of us are on the dance floor, the music is blaring loudly and everyone seems to be having fun.

Kai, Rashid and Avery are here to support me, and I can see them trying to have fun. But most of the time, they simply lurk in the shadows, only present to show their presence so that I might feel comforted.

Yan is here as well, stuck with Avery, an arm looped through hers as she tries to get her to eat the sweets.

My brother, Khadir, is having a blast. He's so drunk I don't even think he knows where he is. He's gone absolutely feral and I don't think I've ever seen him like this. He has the entire crowd going crazy as he dances with at least six girls at the same time and I already know half of them are taken.

Diego is missing. I already know who he's with.

Fayyaz lurks near me, offering me a drink. Every time his hand moves, I see a flash of gold and my eyes land on the engagement ring around his finger. A similar one is around mine.

I can't believe I'm twenty years old. I can't believe it.

"Happy birthday," Fayyaz says quietly, handing me an apple tart to try. "Are you having fun?"

I give him a look, and finish the drink in my hands, "Lots of fun."

"You can break this arrangement off if you aren't."

"Yeah, no. Not up to me."

Fayyaz shoves the tart into my mouth in an attempt to look like a loving fiancee. I almost gag.

"All of this is up to you," he says low in my ear. It sounds more like a hiss. "Engagements are supposed to be fun."

I push him back, pretending to giggle and slap his chest, "When you're in this business, nothing is fun."

"You can make it fun."

"Shut up, Fayyaz. Go get me another drink."

I know I'm being mean. I know I am being horrible. And I know I am ruining a person's entire life.

But I'm doing it for myself. I need this in order for my people to take me seriously. And my mother is right, I need politics on my side.

Fayyaz manages to give me a handsome smile before strolling off with my cup. I wouldn't be surprised if he poisoned it.

I can already feel the alcohol hitting me, the voices drowning and the world blurring in such bright colours that make my brain explode. Everything is going smoothly and exactly how my parents want it. This last act is the final strand tied to my body, the final act that has officially made me my parents puppet.