46

46

Miraveh estimated a third of the Hunters were less affected by the presence of the dragon and they were the ones that harried and forced the others back into their lines. That lined up with something Sialira had said before, that those who wield magic suffered the fear of dragons less. Though the young Witch's reaction showed that was not always the case and Miraveh wondered whether the potential of a magic wielder, their strength dictated that. For certain, Brothimir had cowered more than any and his magic had become diminished, if not gone altogether.

"I'm sorry." Sialira finally pulled away from Miraveh, though her hands still shook. "The dragon's presence was ... To be so close and feel its power, it ..."

Miraveh placed her hand on Sialira's shoulder, and gave the girl a sad smile. She had felt it too, the fear, but she could not show it. Not while there were others watching. Not while the Witches, the goblins or the elves watched, and certainly not while Yaerual's eyes continued to watch the happenings above him.

He moved now, the leader of these Hunters, turning his back and striding back toward the lines that remained in the process of reforming. She watched as he gathered a number of people about him and then as those people hurried away, reaching others, speaking for a short time before moving on and passing whatever Yaerual's orders spoke of. The Hunters were planning something and the dragon's presence had changed their approach.

"Turotara, take a group and retrieve the bodies of our people. Sialira, return to the courtyard and consult with Mandelar as to who should hold the new relics. We need the strongest remaining to take up that power. And make certain everyone knows the new spells." With a glance toward the dragon, perched upon the nearby mountain, Miraveh turned away from Turotara and Sialira, expecting them to follow her orders without question. "Brothimir. Stay with me and tell me what you expect of your former comrades."

The Hunters were planning something, but Miraveh could not see what it could be. The ranks had reformed, now, but they had started to retreat and that didn't make any sense. They could see the dragon posed no threat to them. Had that been so, every last one of those Hunters would have become nothing but smouldering ash. Any fool could see the dragon had not taken up Miraveh's cause and Yaerual was no fool. In the little time she had spoken with the Karline, she knew that for certain.

The dragon had also compromised her. She could feel that white hot sense of the dragon's magic. It burned and seared her thoughts, blanketing any sense of other magic. She could feel other magic; Brothimir's diminished potential, the dull, dark magic of the Karline below, the more soil or stone-like magic of elves and goblins, the light, airy magic of the Witches. Yet it had all become subsumed beneath the raw, ancient power of the dragon. Its presence had taken away a crucial avenue of forewarning.

"I'm not certain I can help you here, Dragon Friend." Brothimir had recovered a semblance of calm. Now upon his feet, he turned so as not to see the dragon, even from the edge of his sight. "It is not Hunters O' The Dark policy to retreat. We, they, believe in overwhelming strength. They do not deal in subtlety. This ... is unprecedented."

"Is it a ruse?" She had drawn her sword and now rested it, point tinkling against the stone at her feet, proclaiming her own intention to fight, if needed. She wished Alran were here to give his advice. "Perhaps they intend on a rush for the gates? Accept losses for the victory?"

"That would certainly fall into the prevailing strategies." He rubbed his hairless chin and it reminded her that he was not so old as he sounded. Hatred had aged him, but now that hatred had washed away over the time they had known each other. "I don't think that's what they're doing. Look!"

Miraveh followed the direction of his pointing finger and saw something strange. Portals had begun to appear in several places and now the Hunters had formed into lines. The first Hunters passed through the portals almost as soon as the Karline had cast their spells. Miraveh had not expected this and, in her heart, it felt wrong. Her head whipped around to the dragon, but the beast gave neither counsel or ignorance, its golden eyes continuing to stare, telling nothing of the dragon's intentions.