8

8

Miraveh lied to herself that she stayed sat on the ground to make certain that the Hunters weren't following, but, in truth, she felt afraid. Afraid to head south, to the crossroads, and find that Sialira and Daras hadn't made it. Afraid that they had made it, they had survived, and that she had to face them both knowing what she had done. Afraid, also, that Sialira would feel compelled to return to Alsurna and Yusuvur. Miraveh could not face the former 'Barren Witch', slinking back like some cowering hound.

As the Moon travelled across the night sky, she knew the Hunters had not left the town. For now, she was safe. With aching muscles, she lifted herself to her feet and began the long walk to the southern reaches of the town, keeping away from any pathways, no matter how small or unused. She couldn't chance meeting anyone else. Her first fight had drained her far more than she expected, though Alran had always told her it would be so.

With the main road, the Spice Road, in her sights, she turned and moved southwards, parallel to the well-rutted track, keeping to the scrub and bushes, until she reached the crossroads. This was as far as she had ever travelled from Donsa, as a child, where her father had met with a man to take charge of a fresh herd of goats from the Southern Lands. She remembered it well, with the rocks and copses of trees that surrounded the place where four roads met.

At least, if Sialira and Daras had survived, they had the sense to not wait on the actual path. Then, as she considered where she would hide, were she them, she felt the now unmistakeable presence of a Witch. Faint, but there, and she followed that feeling until she began to hear whispers behind a stand of rocks, off to the side.

Before revealing herself, Miraveh watched Sialira and Daras from a short distance. They huddled around a small fire, Sialira clutching her knees to her chest, Daras making most of the conversation. She found it curious. From here, she could feel Sialira's magical presence, yet the girl had not even raised her head. As with the Hunter Witch. She had felt him before he had sensed her presence.

That was something she would have to test at a later time, for the moment, she stood upright and made her way to the camp, noticing the horses tied to brush, off to the side. After a few steps, Sialira's head raised and then turned. Around fifteen feet, if Miraveh were to judge. Almost a third of the distance in which she had felt Sialira's presence.

"You're alive!" Jumping to her feet, Sialira almost began to run towards Miraveh, relief washing over her features but, as Miraveh came into the light of the fire, a look of horror crossed her face. "Gods!"

The exclamation became muffled as Sialira covered her mouth with her hand. Her other hand reached up towards Miraveh's face and then fell away. To the side, on the ground still, Daras looked up and cringed, sucking in a sharp breath of air. Miraveh felt too tired to explain and they had things to do. If she could feel Sialira from the crossroads, a powerful Witch could, too.

"Put that fire out. We need to move the camp further away from the road." Even before Daras could move, Miraveh began kicking dirt onto the flames, cutting off the light. "They have Witches with them, these Hunters O' The Dark. Witches hunting Witches and if I could feel Sialira's magic, so could they."

Miraveh could tell she must look either horrific or determined, or both. Sialira didn't even attempt to argue, turning away with one last look at Miraveh's face before reaching down to gather the few belongings that sat beside the fire. They moved a good hundred yards, out into the brush-land, finding a smaller stand of rocks and setting up camp there. Once lit, Miraveh almost collapsed beside the fire, placing her sword and the Hunter's sword by her side.

Her eyes snapped open as she felt something cold against her cheek and found Sialira crouched beside her, a cloth in one hand and a water skin in the other. The young Witch flinched back and Miraveh realised she had grabbed Sialira's wrist, her other hand falling to the hilt of her sword. She tried to give the girl a comforting smile, but her features didn't move, instead, she released Sialira's hand and moved the other hand away from the sword. One fight and she had started to jump at everything. She wondered if Alran had shown the same signs, well-hidden from Miraveh and everyone else. Of course not, Alran had never had such weakness.