the cdc.

Leo was the first to walk through the door, Rick on his tail with his gun raised, "Hello? Hello?"

A gun cocked. Everyone gasped and shot around to it with worried eyes, "Anybody infected?" A disheveled looking man asked, a large rifle held firmly in grip.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it"

The man advanced slowly, "Why are you here? What do you want?"

"A chance"

He scoffed at Rick's words and fester to the outside, "That's asking an awful lot these days"

"I know"

There was a long, tense silence while he surveyed the large group. With a firm nod the man spoke again, "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission"

Rick glanced back to everyone, Shane giving him a reassuring look that Rick nodded to, "We can do that"

The other lowered his gun, "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed"

After gathering their things Jenner brought them into an elevator. It was quiet but Daryl spoke first to break it, "Doctors always go around packing heat like that?"

He smiled and glanced to Daryl over his shoulder with a shrug, "Well, there were plenty left lying around. I familiarised myself. But you look harmless enough. Except you" Jenner looked down to Carl, "I'll have to keep my eye on you" Leo laughed along with the others and reached out to ruffle Carl's hair, the boy shoving him off playfully.

He brought the group into a base of some sort, "Are we underground?" Carol asked

"Are you claustrophobic?"

"A little" she replied meekly, looking around warily at her surroundings. Jenner winced with a sorry expression.

"Try not to think about it"

Jenner walked them into a large computer room, "VI, bring up the lights in the big room" the area light up, "Welcome to zone 5" he gestured to the large room with mass computers and a huge screen up the front.

"Where is everybody?" Rick asked, "The other doctors, the staff?"

"I'm it. It's just me here"

"What about the person you were speaking with? Vi?"

Jenner nodded, "Vi, say hello to our guests. Tell them... welcome"

"Hello guests. Welcome" a robotic voice said from the roof. Leo huffed out amazement with a big smile. This was truly incredible. Jenner had really been in here with some automated maid and comfort away from all the destruction just outside the door.

"I'm all that's left" the man repeated, "I'm sorry"

Leo was the last to get his blood taken and sat down in the seat, "Ah, yes. You" Jenner said. The teen's brows knitted together so the man continued, "You're the one that shouted at me"

With a nod, Leo smiled lightly, "Yeah, sorry"

"No. No problem, you were scared and trying to do what was right, it was good of you" he scanned Leo's face with narrowed eyes, "You look quite young, how old are you?"

"Uh... fifteen, why?"

Jenner looked over Leo's shoulder to Rick, "He your son?"

Rick chuckled, "No, no he's not"

"Oh" he glanced over the group and his gaze fell to Daryl on the floor, "You?" Daryl looked a little take aback at the sudden start of a conversation but his attempts to speak were cut off.