Chapter 9: Spark of Rebellion

Within the city of Whitestone, a group of seven people were gathered in the basement of one of many decayed homes. Maps were on the table, and one was hung on the wall. Various supplies were scattered on the table as well.

"The Eastern faction was wiped out by giants," a scout explained by the wall map. Their leader, a dwarf in medium armor, observed the report.

"Then we need to make our next move count," he spoke in a thick accent, ordering, "Gather every able-bodied fighter in Whitestone."

There was a creak by the stairs. The guard by the door readied his dagger as a woman stepped into the room. He held it to her throat, and she stopped with a gasp of surprise. She took out a scrap of fabric on which a symbol was embroidered. It was the de Rolo crest.

"Bryn," the leader recognized her as he turned around, "Thank the Dawnfather you're alive. What news do you bring?"

Bryn stepped to him and informed, "The Briarwoods have moved the Kestrel. She's with Professor Anders."

"Anders?" the leader said, "She'll be hard to extract..."

Their planning was silenced, however, as thundering footsteps drew near. The house itself shook, and the suspended lantern swayed from the impacts. It was too close to be a passing patrol. Everyone shut up and stopped moving, tensed for action. The leader's hand wrapped around his axe.

"They have us," he realized, "Run!"

Just as he gave the order, and undead giant tore open the ceiling. One person was scooped up by the giant and crushed easily. Another hand broke through and yanked a second out of the basement. A third was crushed when another fist came down.

At this point, guards were heard breaking down the doors to the basement. The leader called to the survivors, "I'll take the guards. Get out of here!"

While the leader managed to chop open the first guard's face, Bryn and two others tried to slip out through a second exit, but the final other rebel member was unluckily grabbed by a giant and bitten in half.

The tide of guards was impossible for the dwarf to fight himself, and he was knocked to the ground. He heard sadistic chuckling. Looking up, he saw one of the Briarwoods' allies, the short and grey skinned Kerrion Stonefell, march in. The other three rebels who nearly escaped were now held at sword point by the guards as well.

"You're a tenacious little tick, Archibald," he taunted the leader, "Gonna have fun burnin' you off my balls."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The crows had started eating the bodies...effigies, more like...hanging from the Sun Tree. All in full view of those they were modeled after.

"The Briarwoods know we've come..." Percy said.

"Should we...should we cut them down...?" Yin asked, rattled by the sight and unsure what to do.

"No," Percy stated, starting to walk away.

"But—"

Percy actually stopped for a moment and looked to Yin, "The Sun Tree is obviously being watched. I'm sorry."

With that morbid sight and realization, Vox Machina was left with no other choice but to move on. They proceeded through the streets, sneaking past patrols and giants as they went. Eventually, Percy noticed something down a foggy side street.

A woman wearing a blue bandana was ushering some children into an alley. She turned and noticed the group.

"Are you crazy? Out of the streets! Hide!" she yelled over.