Chapter 8: Fate's Journey

In the city of Emon, three fugitives were running down an street. As they were, a guard shouted, "Stop!"

Of course, they didn't listen. Instead, they turned down a side alley to try and continue their escape.

Vax, Vax, and Yin went through another connecting path as the guards shouted, "Get back here!"

They were about to run through an arch to a covered path, but Vax immediately stopped them at a corner. Turns out, two guards were waiting in the area they planned on going.

The three of them waited for a bit before rushing across, but unluckily, they were noticed as  the sound of sabatons hitting the ground behind them echoed off the walls. However, as the trio dashed into another alley, the sounds of the guards' footsteps faded away.

Soon enough, they finally found Gilmore's shop. This being Yin's first time seeing the place, he noted it looked rather...extravagant. Still pretty cool, though!

They ran towards the side of the building rather than the main entrance, and they found a grate leading to a basement under the shop. Vex tried to tug on it, but it wouldn't budge. Yin stepped up and the twins moved aside; he concentrated his Ki for a moment, then used his enhanced strength to pull the grate out as gently as possible. The three slipped down out of sight and the monk put the grate back in place.

Seconds later, the guards rushed by, completely missing the group. Vax gave a nod when they were far enough away and they proceeded onward. Soon after, they reached a trap door. Vax, of course, was the first to open it and exit, followed by Yin and Vex. They were right next to the desk Gilmore would normally be found behind. The lights were all out though, and no one seemed to be home.

Just as planned, Vex and Vax went to look over the inventory present and see what they could get to help in both the journey and the fight with the Briarwoods and their allies. Yin, however, wasn't entirely happy.

"I mean, I get we need all this, but...we are going to pay for this later, right?"

Vax was about to reply, but as Vex touched a potion, some sort of magic spell sprung to life. The three of them were trapped in a sort of eight sided magenta prism and suspended helplessly in the air as the lights turned on. Someone cleared their throat, and they turned to the sound. Gilmore stood behind his desk.

"Crime doesn't pay," he grinned with amusement at their startled and worried expressions, "But it is entertaining."

The shop owner walked around the desk and snapped his fingers, dispelling the construct and dumping them onto the floor with Yin and Vex falling on top of Vax. The two rolled off of him and they all stood up.

"Uh, so, there is definitely a perfectly reasonable explanation for this," Yin spoke, but he stopped a moment later realizing he didn't actually have one.

"It's just a quick stop at your store in our way out of town," Vax said.

"While it was closed. I assume you were going to leave an IOU?" Gilmore looked at them with a raised eyebrow. Vex glanced away and Yin scratched his neck embarrassedly.

The three walked by with Vex waving off the statement, "Of course, darling. You know us!"

"All too well...though I must ask, it seems you got some new blood?"

Yin realized Gilmore was talking to him and turned around.

"Oh, you mean him?" Vex asked with a smirk, "Well, he's kinda like a lost puppy. We picked him up after a bar fight."

"Hey! I'm not a puppy!" Yin huffed before looking to Gilmore, "Name's Yin, and I can kick names and take ass like the rest of Vox Machina!"

Gilmore chuckled at both Vex's remark and Yin's response, "Will then, it's a pleasure to meet you. Feel free to take a look around with Vaxy and Vex."