"What do you mean 'it won't make a difference'?" Sirius asked, cutting him off.

Regulus only glared, "It won't make a difference because you're going to leave."

And with that, he practically ran out of the door, the 'me' at the end of his sentence hanging unsaid in the air.

~~~~~~~~~~

Walpurga pressed the button, and the timer began ticking immediately.

Sirius' parents had come home soon after Sirius and Regulus'... whatever it was. Walpurga had made dinner, and summoned her sons. Sirius was unable to determine whether she was aware of the lingering tension between him and Regulus. Knowing her, she probably suspected something.

"Lyall Lupin spoke again today," Orion said gruffly. "In front of the Stiffs and a fair amount from other factions, especially Amity."

Sirius watched as Walpurga sneered, the expression twisting her features into something ugly.

"Lyall Lupin," she said, as if the name was poison on her tongue, "Is a stain on this city that must be dealt with." She slammed her fork down. "How dare he preach about unity when he drove his own son away from him?"

"Those were just rumours Walpurga," Orion said, "and we cannot use that information without proof-"

"Where is the boy then?" Walpurga asked venomously, "Because he is certainly no longer in Abnegation."

Sirius frowned. The people in Abnegation were selfless and lived to serve others before their own. He couldn't imagine any Abnegation parent purposefully driving their child away.

"Why did the boy leave?" Sirius asked, shutting his mouth like a fish when his Mother's gaze fixed on him.

"You will speak when spoken to-"

"It's all right," Orion said, holding up a hand.

Walpurga glared at Sirius, but stayed silent.

"People believed that Remus Lupin left Abnegation because his Father was beating him," Orion said, his voice flat and devoid of any attachment.

Sirius blinked, somehow grateful that he was given such a clear and concise answer.

Remus Lupin.

What a strange name. Almost on par with 'Sirius Black'.

Sirius nodded as his father spoke, and although he knew nothing about this boy, he was thankful that Remus had escaped his father. In fact, this Remus Lupin sounded a lot like Sirius. In another life they might've been friends. Sirius wondered how horrible Lyall Lupin would have to be to make Remus believe he had to switch factions. People usually left because their aptitude test told them they belonged somewhere else, not because they wished to escape. Sirius tried to conceal his smirk as he realised he was practically talking about himself.

"That's enough about the Lupin's" Walpurga snapped suddenly, "I don't want to hear that name for the remainder of this meal."

Speaking of, Sirius glanced at the ticking timer. Only halfway through.

"I expect everything went smoothly today?" Walpurga asked after a while. "Regulus?"

Sirius watched as Regulus nodded, "Yes Mother."

"Sirius?" Walpurga asked.

Sirius wondered what would happen if he was truthful.

"Actually Mother, everything did not go smoothly. It turns out I'm Divergent. Surprise! But don't worry, you won't be seeing much of me, because I'm going to be the first Black to leave Erudite, apart from Andy, who's apparently your sister, although you've never talked about her. Ever."

But all Sirius said was, "Yes Mother."

Walpurga nodded, "And what were your results?"

Sirius winced as his knife fell to the floor with a loud bang. He sat frozen for a moment, before bending down to pick it up, terribly disappointed that the problem was still there when his head reappeared from underneath the table.

"But Mother," Regulus started, "Our test results are not to be-"

"I know the law, boy," Walpurga snapped, silencing Regulus immediately, "I am your Mother, and I am asking you to tell me your aptitude test results."

Sirius watched as Regulus, most curiously, hesitated quite a while before almost whispering, "Erudite."

And although his Mother smiled and patted his brother's hand, Sirius was sure in his knowledge that he knew something his mother did not.

Regulus was lying.

He knew his brother, and his brother was not being truthful. It was in the tense line of his shoulders, the furrow between his brow. The guilt behind the smile as he allowed their mother to congratulate him. So if it wasn't Erudite, what faction did little Reggie belong to then?

"And you Sirius?" Walpurga asked, any trace of the fondness she reserved for Regulus long gone.

(All of them)

"Erudite."

(Well, all of them bar one)

"My result was Erudite."

He refused to look to his side even though he could practically feel Regulus' eyes on him.

Walpurga smiled, "I have to admit, I'm surprised Sirius. Pleasantly surprised."

She nodded triumphantly, and Sirius hated that his insides practically began to glow from the backhanded praise.

"You've done this family proud my sons," Orion said shortly. "Not that we expected any less."

"Well..." Walpurga said, eyeing Sirius.

At that moment, the timer began to ring shrilly, and Sirius thought that this was the most excited he'd ever been about the end of a meal. He and Regulus stood, about to bid their parents goodnight when Walpurga held up a hand, pausing them.

"I trust you know what you both must do tomorrow? What you must choose?"

Regulus nodded, Sirius doing the same, although his insides were churning with one word.

Divergent.
Divergent.
Divergent.
Divergent.

Walpurga smiled at them. It was one that didn't reach her cold eyes.

"Then goodnight to the both of you."

Sirius had to stop himself from running to his room, but just as he was opening his door, Regulus called out to him in the dark hallway.

"Sirius wait!" he whispered urgently.

Sirius sighed, turning slowly, "What is it Regulus."

Regulus started fidgeting with his hands again, and Sirius resisted the urge to ask him to stop. To stop reminding him of a brother who had looked up to him.

"I just wanted to say..." he trailed off, looking at the floor.

"Look at me and spit it out," Sirius said.

Regulus looked at him, his eyes wide, and, Sirius noted with a faint horror, shiny. As if he was about to cry.

"I wanted to say that whatever you decide to do tomorrow," Regulus said, his voice wobbling slightly, "You're my brother. And- and I-"

Don't say it, Sirius thought. Don't you dare say it.

"And I- care about you," Regulus said finally. "A lot. So..."

He wiped his eyes, obviously embarrassed.

Sirius, who was sure he was going into shock at the display of emotion, looked at his little brother and sighed, reaching out a hand and hesitating before placing it on Regulus' shoulder gingerly.

"Look, Reggie-" Regulus stiffened at the nickname, "tomorrow isn't about her all right? It's not even about the entire family. It's about you, and only you."

Regulus smiled, taking a step back so Sirius' arm fell to his side.

He shook his head, "You're wrong Sirius. Nothing I do tomorrow will be about me."