TWELVE

Brietta's POV

We start to dance to the music. Making us slow dance but he leads me across the floor. He's a skilled dancer which I find surprising. We seem to land directly in the middle of the dance floor, while all the other couples surround us.

"I have to admit I didn't know Alessandro had a daughter, within his previous engagement."
Vladimir tells me

"He didn't know either." I reply which seems to shock Vladimir for a second before he recovers

He nods his head while still leading me through the dance.

"You dance effortlessly, lisichka."
Vladimir compliments

"Thank you." I reply with a polite smile

He smirks at me a little

"Are you planning on going to Italy?"
He questions

"Someday but New York is my home. Now why are you so interested in my personal life?" I question

He smirks again and says "Can't I find out a little about my rivals?"

"You can but if that's your goal then you should've asked Salvatore for a dance, because I'm not a rival of yours." I tell him with my own smirk

"Good to know." He replies

Our dance is cut short when someone grabs my arm yanking me to the side in a tight grip. Tight enough to later leave a bruise. I turn to face who grabbed me only to come face to face with Ashton, my step brother.

"Lovely to see you here, sister." Ashton greets

"What are you doing here?" I question

"I'm here as an associate with the firm. The question I want to know is why are you here?" He asks with anger in his tone, telling me a tantrum is on the rise.

I don't get to reply before a deep voice surprisingly interrupts.

"I'd let go of her, if I were you. We wouldn't anyone to die tonight, at such a peaceful event."
Vladimir says in a serious tone

"This is family business. Piss off."
Ashton says angrily

"Perhaps you didn't hear me. Let. Her. Go."
Vladimir says commanding him with an angry yet deadly calm tone of voice, it almost gives me shivers down my spine. He seems to be standing directly behind me now as he adds "Or I'll make you."

Ashton looks behind me and stares at Vladimir, and let's go of my arm. Vladimir puts a hand on my back, and pulls me beside him away from Ashton.

I see the Russians and my family of Italians all walk towards us. Some people have even stopped dancing to watch the scene play out.

"Ashton I don't believe you are supposed to be here tonight." Paolo says grimly

"I received an invitation. Therefore I'm invited."
Ashton says

Oh great defense.
Probably the best he's had his entire life.

"Doesn't matter. You need to leave."
Salvatore says