𝔗𝔴𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔶: 𝔈𝔭𝔦𝔩𝔬𝔤𝔲𝔢

Start from the beginning

Things were rocky with Sam and Vada for a while. They worked hard to repair their relationship, and Vada worked even harder to make amends. It was an adjustment for the two of them. She was suddenly living in a world that Sam didn't want to be a part of. But, she still went to meetings every Sunday, and she's still working on her recovery. It's a part of her, and it always will be.

James was wrong when he said he could rip the addict out of her; that he could fix her. The addict inside of Vada has changed, learned, and grown. To take it away would be to take part of Vada's humanity that he had no right to strip from her. She did all of that work, all of that healing, and she's still doing it.

"How was your meeting?"

"Good," she whispers. "Topic was amends. Sam's suggestion."

Sam smiles as he picks up a black rose and twirls it in his fingers.

"It's an important one," he murmurs.

"Yeah," Vada replies as James runs his fingers through her hair.

His expression is warm and his eyes lock with James's. There's a mutual respect between the two of them that's built up over the past year. Sam keeps their secret, and in return, they never offer to turn him.

And they don't kill anything or anyone around him.

They've worked out a deal with Yelena, who has become the Chief of Police of Greybrooke. The vampires get extra shipments from the Greybrooke blood bank in exchange for doing a little side hustle for Yelena.

They take out bad guys. Murderers, rapists, pedophiles. They've become vampire vigilantes, roaming the state of California for the worst of the worst. Thankfully, there's no shortage of bad guys in California.

Things are still quiet. Yelena flashes them knowing smiles whenever she comes to visit.

They're protected here.

For the first time in a century, James feels safe. Secure.

Kate and Steve emerge from the back room. Steve has lipstick smeared all over his face and Kate has hickeys on her neck that are beginning to heal. Her eyes are golden and Vada makes a small gesture for her to blink and turn them back to their regular beautiful hazel color.

Steve and Kate giggle and lean up against each other as Sam shakes his head.

"You two are worse than Karen and I, you know that, right?"

"Yeah, stop making out in the chapel," Steve says as he clicks his tongue. "That's God's house."

Sam cackles and punches Steve in the shoulder as he leans up against the counter. The five of them chat as James finishes wrapping up the flowers and putting them into a box. Vada carries them out to her car.

She's driving again. She's been able to drive legally since last year, but only recently has she had the confidence to actually take lessons again. James finds it kind of funny, a vampire being the safest driver he's ever met, but understands the trauma that's buried deep within her. She's growing, finding ways to navigate it. James knows that the pain won't dissipate for a while. He's so proud of her.

They load the flowers into Vada's car while James locks up, Alpine under his arm. Sam and James climb in. James takes the backseat while Steve and Kate get onto his motorcycle. They drive toward the newly renovated mansion. James and Steve had most of it rebuilt and repainted. It now stands as a beacon of light at the top of Greybrooke.

They still wear all black, though.

They park and bring the flowers into the house.

"Where do you want them?" Steve asks as he takes the bunches from James.

"Upstairs. Let's close the chapel off and keep the viewing room open," Vada says softly. "There's no coffins in it or anything, right?"

"Nope," James replies. "Just furniture. Morgue is sealed off downstairs too. Padlocks are on the doors."

"Great. The last thing I need is for someone to accidentally wind up in there while drunk."

James chuckles and his arms snake around her waist and he kisses her on the tip of her nose.

"Everything's all locked up."

"Hey, Vada! I'll make the punch!" Kate calls from the stairwell.

"Keep the blood upstairs for us!" James calls.

"Got it!"

"Yeah, we don't need that getting mixed up again this time," Sam says, rolling his eyes.

"Hey, I stopped you before you took a sip!" Steve calls.

Sam chuckles and James takes Vada's hand.

"You wanna go for a walk?" He asks.

"We've got to set up for the party."

"Just a couple of minutes," he replies. "I have something for you."

She raises a brow and he grins.

"Come on."

James takes her hand and they head out the back door, through the small yard, and toward the same path that they walked down the first night he met her. Slowly, he unlocks the gate and leads her through it. Purple and red streaks spread across the sky, making the trees glow in the pale light. There are remnants of leaves still sticking to the branches as they reach over the cliff with long fingers. James used to see them as ominous, but now, whenever he looks at this town, he sees hope. And life.

"It's beautiful," Vada whispers.

"Yeah. Reminds me of the first night we walked through here."

She smiles at him, her dark hair blowing in the breeze. The sunset makes her skin glow and he leans over, kissing her.

"You changed my life that night," he breathes.

"I could say the same thing about you."

James grins and reaches into the pocket of his leather jacket, pulling out a small box. He opens it, revealing a silver necklace with a small vial of blood that looks like a crystal. She gasps softly.

"It's my blood and yours," he whispers.

Her eyes lock with his, glistening with tears.

"James."

"I wanted to get you something. It's past our anniversary."

"You already got me flowers, and dinner, and a new car—"

"It's not enough, Vada. I'll never be enough." He turns her around and drapes the necklace around her neck, fastening the clasp.

Vada turns back to him, her palm resting on his chest, searching for a heartbeat where there isn't one. It's so natural now. He brushes his knuckles across her cheekbone.

"I'm yours, Vada." He smiles, kissing her softly. "I always will be."