𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫: 𝔊𝔬𝔩𝔦𝔞𝔱𝔥

No smut this chapter

No smut this chapter. I've got a plot to start wrapping up lol

CW: Discussions of terminal illness, decapitation.

Please, please, please vote and comment! We've got about 2-3 chapters left!

"To be human, that's what most of us long for. It is the human which has become myth to us."

- Anne Rice, "Queen of the Damned"

"I just want to make it known that this is a very, very stupid fucking idea," Vada mutters as they approach the Greybrooke Cemetery. There's a cop car parked across the street. She leans forward, spotting the officer in the driver's seat fully passed out.

Greybrooke's finest.

"Dully noted," Steve mutters. "But it's the best we've got."

"What about the beach?" Vada asks. "What happened to the beach?"

"Well, our little friend might still be here," James whispers as they slowly approach. "Maybe he's collecting a trophy."

Steve looks at the cop car and points at it.

"You don't see us."

"He's unconscious, you fuckrag," James mutters. "It doesn't work if they're already dreaming."

Steve heaves a dramatic sigh as they creep past the police car. Other than the crime scene tape, the place is barren. It's 3:00am. Vada can hear the seagulls in the distance, the waves crashing against the rocks, and Greybrooke is covered in darkness. Even some of the streetlamps are burned out. She feels a sense of dread overtake her as they take the path that runs beside the mansion and through the cemetery.

Huginn sits atop the house roof of the house, and some old tiles fall off as he paces around, almost worried. She can feel it. Vada looks up at him.

"Would Huginn know? He was outside all afternoon."

It's not healthy for a wild animal to be cooped up indoors, so Vada left the window open during the day while they napped. He could come and go as he pleased.

"It's possible," James whispers.

Vada holds out her arm and whistles. Huginn croaks, and flaps his wings, soaring down to land on her forearm. He hops up the length of her arm and nuzzles against her. She smiles.

"Missed you at dinner tonight," she whispers. "Can you tell me what you saw?"

Man in black. Cut head off.

"Man in black cut someone's head off," she says. "I think. Is that what you saw, Huginn?"

The raven gives a deep croak, and Vada feels it as an affirmative answer before she years.