227: The Song of Sirenum Scopuli

Mulai dari awal

"How'd you know?"

"I did my job," She was slightly sick of repeating the same pieces of information, "Then combined it with supernatural intel."

What she'd told Elijah.

"We have a pack. But New York is a travelling city. The place MJ grew up wasn't created for her; witch safe houses exist because the city had a reputation for hiding and rehabilitating."

Vincent followed, "So lots of lone wolves too."

"We've had the lowest numbers ever."

"And you don't think it's a coincidence."

"Look," She shifted, "I love MiMi Pasare connecting people."

She loved Beni and MJ working together too.

"But wolves being so open about sending her their venom doesn't help them. It tells people where they are and that they're lost."

The urge to know your roots was much lower if you were in a pack.

"A lot of vampires still wanna wipe them out. If Lucien's money is being given to mercenaries..."

"It would explain where yours are going."

"I like my community," Her voice was quiet, "I'm here 'cos The Strix dragged my family into this – my vampires...but if Lucien's been behind all those deaths too? Pack or not, they're part of my city."

Her duty was to keep peace and protect.

"Selene will keep him safe because he has sentimental value," Pri's slight resentment, "But...taking out wolves from 'her' city? That's a personal betrayal."

Inconvenient leave of absence or not, Maci was sentimental.

But he was her friend.

Of course, she wanted proof.

"If I prove he's behind everything, she'll stop keeping him safe – in fact, she just might kill him for betraying her like that."

"Well," Cami pushed her papers to her, "If we can help..."

"Thank you."

"You think you know a way to deal with him," Vincent reminded them of the other reason they were here, "Without getting me spellcasting?"

Cami grimaced, taking them towards the bedroom.

To the hidden room beyond the closet, filled with trinkets.

"Dark objects," Pri clicked.

Vincent took a little longer inspecting it.

"Vin?" She prompted.

"You realise half this stuff comes from the Tremé witches, right?"

"How would I know?" She'd only been able to use the notes from Kol, "I inherited it all from my uncle."

"You don't even want to know what this stuff does, Camille."

"You say they're your covens; Kol says they're his. The one's he's explained...I've made a log and even keep some of them at my apartment for safety."

"Ah."

She nodded.

"Why didn't you tell me about it before?"

"Oh, yeah, 'Hey, Vincent, you want to check out my creepy collection of black-magic knickknacks?'"

"Roles right off the tongue," Pri opted to perch on the sofa arm.

"Moreso than some of the object's real names," Maci pushed the unlocked front door open, "I watched most of them be made, and the mix of terms Kol picked?"