Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The way Frankie stared at me made my heart burst into many emotions. His eyes were moistened as he pursed his lips.

I inhaled deeply before I looked away.

We were both standing in line in the coffee shop. Mas nauna siya sa akin at hindi ko alam na siya ang nasa unahan ko bigla siyang napalingon sa akin kaya agad na nanlaki ang mga mata namin. We didn’t greet each other but we just looked each other in the eyes as if it was enough for the both of us. 

Never did I imagine that we’ll be seeing each other again after five years. I did see him in the restaurant last Christmas but he didn’t see me since I went back to my office to cry my heart out.

“Sir? May I take your order?”

Frankie blinked before he faced the counter.

“One ice americano and one iced caramel macchiato,” he ordered.

My eyes widened. I looked around to see if he was with his girlfriend, however, I didn’t see the girl. Maybe he’s with someone? Or he’ll bring the drinks to her?

He then glanced at me. “The drink was for you, Tiff.”

I blinked at him but he just flashed me a smile. In the end, I only nodded at him before I went to the side of the counter.

Frankie tilted his head at me with his eyebrows arched.

"I'm not staying. I still have some places I need to go for work," I said.

He nodded at me before he got his change and stood beside me.

"How are you?" Frankie broke the silence between us.

"I'm fine. Just a bit busy. How about you?"

"Same," he replied. Then we became quiet again for a minute before he cleared his throat. "So… what's your work?"

I sighed. "I handle the south branches of Tita Carla's restaurants. Since ibang career napili ng pinsan ko, they decided to make me her heiress since I was capable. But, you know that my youngest auntie won't let me go. I also work for her and still studying things about her industry."

"You happy?"

Napakagat ako sa labi dahil sa naging tanong niya. Hindi ko sigurado kung masaya ba ako o hindi pero…

"I'm contented."

Frankie nodded at my answer as he grinned at me. "Glad to know that."

Nginitian ko siya bago muling nanahamik. Even when I’m also curious about how he was doing and what career path he took, I stopped myself from asking. I just wanted to stay in the past of us. What I know about him and who he was, I want it to be the same. I don’t want to change anything.

“Here.”

I snapped back when Frankie handed me the drink.

“Thank you.”

He smiled at me. “It was nice meeting you again.”

“Same here.”

We both walked outside the coffee shop and we faced each other when it felt like we needed to go on our separate ways. I scoffed at myself. It was just a few moments with him but my heart wavered.

“So… goodbye?” I laughed.

Frankie nodded at me. “I think so.”

Kinagat ko ang ibabang labi ko at tumango rin sa kanya.

“Tiff.”

Kumurap ako’t tiningnan siya. Isang malambot na ekpresyon ang nakuha ko mula sa kanya. It was the same expression that he always gives to comfort me.

I sighed deeply before I tilted my head and smiled at him. “You know that I was always certain of my decision, right? So, please, don’t make me question it now, Frankie.”

He pursed his lips and stepped back. I shut my eyes at that.

“Sorry. Don’t worry, from the start, I want you to be happy, content, and proud of what you’ll become and have, Tiff. I’ve been rooting for you since day one. Even when we parted ways five years ago, I still want what is best for you.”

I swallowed the tears that were threatening to fall. “Thank you, Frankie. I mean it. I’m also rooting for your happiness and success. It’s just that… we both know that things won’t change even now. My family would always come first, especially now that my mother is not getting younger.”

And I also know that he was happy with the person he was with right now. His smile and stares were evidence of how he admired her.

He nodded. “I know. Still, I want you to know that I’ve loved you and I still care for you.”

“Even when I didn’t tell you this I know that you felt it. I also loved you and I still care for you, too. But, let’s just go on with what’s best for both of us. It was fancy seeing you again, Frank. Well then, bye.”

I didn’t wait for him to speak again instead I turned around and walked away from him as Frankie watched my retreating back. It was like five years ago. When I told him that I’ll be leaving and that my family wanted me to focus on my studies. When I left him and chose the only path I should take.

Five years ago, before we decided to part ways, he confessed to me as his way of letting me go. But, I couldn’t tell him my true feelings back then. It might hold us back. However, I got his love for me to be my strength.

Kahit hanggang ngayon, multo ng nakaraan na lang ang aking kinakapitan.

Even the ghost of him and the memories we’ve shared together were the reason I could fight my battles.

And I don’t want to change that. The strings were cut off for me to remain in the past.