Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Please, Tiff?”

“Come on, you know I hate going to your practice, Frank. Mainit.”

Frankie sighed. “We’ll go to the covered court that has aircon, okay? I know you’ll roam the mall again after your class.”

I nodded. “I’ll go to the mall and you can go to that covered court and practice.”

He stomped his feet before he harshly stood and walked outside my classroom. There were people who were watching us but glanced away when I looked at them. I just rolled my eyes and laid my head on the arm's desk.

It was lunchtime but Frankie barged into my classroom and begged me to watch his volleyball practice. Alam naman niyang naiirita ako sa init tuwing nanunuod ng ensayo nila kaya hindi na ako gaano nagpupunta. Still, I know that Frankie just wants me to be surrounded by people. He doesn’t want me to walk around the mall alone, especially when I felt like crying again.

Frankie knows when I need time to be alone but he also knows when I needed someone to walk beside me.

It was like he knows me better than I know myself.

To be honest? Hindi ko alam kung saan at paano siya nagsimula maging attentive sa akin at kahit sa body language ko. It just became natural as we got closer.

My brows furrowed when Frankie was waiting outside the classroom.

“What are you doing here?”

He shrugged. “Moved sa Saturday.”

Tinaasan ko siya nang kilay pero tinawanan niya lang ako bago naunang maglakad. I shook my head before I followed him. I kept on glancing at him but he just ignored me and walked with his right hand in his pocket.

“Stop staring at me. I can handle myself, Tiffany. Ma’am Eguia won’t get mad at her favorite player,” he said still not looking my way. “Besides, I’m hungry.”

I pouted and didn’t say a word.

We went to a fast food chain and he ordered rice while I only ordered burgers and fries. The two of us ate in silence just like usual. It was a comfortable silence we're used to.

Huminga ako nang malalim bago pinanuod ang mga taong kumakain. Ang iba ay mga estudyante habang ang iba naman ay mga adults na at may kasamang bata. They were all smiling brightly while they talked to each other while Frankie and I were just focused on eating.

Frankie was actually a jolly person. He's popular in school for being friendly. At first, I thought that he was just too friendly that he decided to befriend me. However, Frankie was sincere when he made friends. He also keep people he wanted to keep. And maybe I was one of those he thinks was someone for keeps.

Just thinking about it made me smile.

"Why are you smiling?" Frankie asked with a frown.

I pouted. "Just because."

He eyed me suspiciously but didn't pry. I stared at Frankie. His thick brows were still burrowed as his brown orbs met mine. I just smiled at him and gestured for him to continue eating. Whenever I’m with him, I look paler because of the difference in our skin color. But I liked how we are different from each other yet it just feels right to be together. He and I, walking side by side. It was like we were made for each other. That it was meant for me to meet him, especially when he became my lifeline.

I’m not exaggerating. I’m just telling the truth. He saved me when I was drowning. Frankie gave me strength when I was drained by the constant emotional and mental torture because of my family.

“Should we go to the garden?” he asked. Frankie fixed his bangs that hitted his eyes.

I chuckled at the sight of him struggling. “You should consider getting a haircut. I couldn’t even imagine the stress you gave to your teacher because of your hair.”

Frankie just shrugged before he casually took my backpack with him and walked first. I let out another chuckle before I followed him again.

During our walk, there were some schoolmates we bumped into and I could tell how they were gossiping about my relationship with the guy I’m with right now. It’s not a surprise for us to get into rumors since we were always together.

School man o labas, may pasok man o wala, magkasama kaming dalawa. Kahit nga sina daddy at mommy minsan ay napapansin din iyon lalo na kapag nagpapaalam ako na lalabas kasama si Frankie. They never liked Frankie, especially my mother. My friend never liked my mother, either. Still, they compromised for me. My parents still let me be with him and he tries to be kind and respectful to my parents whenever he sees them.

The garden was filled with plants and fake grasses. There were students who loved to stay here after dismissal. Couples also swarmed the place for their date.

“Tiff, here!” Frankie waved at me when he found a good spot.

Lumapit ako sa kanya at naupo sa sahig. Nasa may dulo ang napili niya at tahimik dahil mga couples lang din naman ang nasa side na ito. Karamihan sa kanila ay tahimik lang na nag uusap habang ang iba ay nagpapahinga.

He took off his coat and placed it on my lap since I was wearing a skirt. I pouted at him before I took a deep breath and looked around me. Wala ng araw kaya naman mas dumami ang tao sa garden.

"Alam mo, baka siguro kaya wala kang girlfriend ay dahil akala taken ka na," natatawa kong sabi.

Frankie chuckled. "It's not like I'm looking for a girlfriend."

I sighed. "I sometimes wish that I have a boyfriend. I somehow envy those who have someone they call their partner. Watching these couples right now made me wonder what it would feel like to have someone by your side." When I turned to him, I met his warm gaze. Sadness flashed in his eyes but he quickly looked away. "But then again, I have you right now. It's more than enough."

Frankie stared at me with his lips parted. My heart accelerated with the way he held my gaze. The way his lips formed into a smile.

His hands reached for my head and ruffled my hair. "I don't need a girlfriend. Having someone with the name Tiffany is more than enough."