Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“Tiffany!”

A wave of terror crashed over me as my heart refused to beat. I stood immediately and turned to the person who shouted my name. She raised her eyebrows at me when she entered my room.

Mom waved the report card in her hand. “Is this some kind of a joke? Why are your grades so low?”

“I…” I played with my fingers and refused to meet her raging gaze. “I’m sorry.”

“Ano na lang sasabihin ng mga tita at tito mo! Nakakahiya, Tiffany! Ikaw na nga lang ang inaasahan ko.”

I bit my lower lip. Ayokong sabayan ang init ng ulo niya kaya minabuti kong itikom ang mga bibig. When mom was done, she left and slammed the door. I blinked back the tears before I decided to go out for a walk. Mabuti na lang at pumasok na sa kwarto si mommy para magpahinga dahil galing din siya sa trabaho.

“Where are you going?”

My lips curved into a smile. “Daddy!” I jumped in his arms the moment he stepped out of his car.

Dad ruffled my hair with a chuckle. “Hi, sweetheart.”

Mom might be strict, but at least dad spoiled me with love and care. He even spoiled me with material things. I know that I’m blessed so I couldn’t complain when things are becoming hard for me. I can’t cry because I felt like my problems and feelings were shallow compared to my parents.

“So, where are you going?” he asked again when he released me from the hug.

“I’ll just stroll around the mall. Mom already saw my records and she was mad because of my grades.”

Dad gave me an apologetic look before he pulled out his wallet and handed me cash. “Sorry, sweetheart. Your mom was exhausted and she might have lashed out at you, again. Here, treat yourself to something sweet. Maybe you can also buy a book you want.”

I smiled and hugged him again. “Thank you, Dad! I love you!”

“I love you too.”

I waited until my dad got inside the house. Isa sa gusto ko sa tinitirahan namin ay malapit ang town house sa mall. Kaya madalas din akong pumuntang mall kapag para na akong nasasakal sa bahay. 

I have an older brother but he got his girlfriend pregnant. Nasa tamang edad na rin naman na sila pero hindi nagustuhan nina daddy at mommy iyon kaya pinalayas nila si kuya. It was also the time that my mother put all the pressure on me. That I shouldn’t be like my brother who was careless. He doesn’t have a stable job and didn’t even finish college. As far as I know, he was working as a call center agent. It was a decent job but my family branded him as a failure since he was carrying the Siopangco surname.

I sighed and looked up at the clouds.

Halos mapatalon ako nang may malamig akong naramdaman sa aking ulo. When I looked at the person behind me, my eyes blinked.

“Iced Macchiato for Tiffany.” The guy handed me the drink that he placed on my head.

I frowned. “Frankie.”

He gave me a warm smile. “Hey.”

Kinuha ko ang dala niyang inumin bago siya tiningnan muli. “Salamat.”

Frankie shrugged. “I saw you enter the mall. Mukhang malalim na naman iniisip dahil diretso lang tingin mo sa daan. And knowing you, I figured you’ll go here in the garden to stare at the clouds. At dahil alam ko naman na hindi ka kaagad aalis, bumili na lang ako ng madalas mong bilhin sa mga cafe.”

Ngumuso ako sa kanya bago uminom sa binili niya para sa akin.

Frankie was older than me. He was already in grade eleven while I was in grade ten. But we attend the same school. Frankie was also the only person who could approach me even when I was not in the mood.

“Thank you,” I mumbled.

He chuckled before sitting beside me. “Just don’t smile when you don’t feel like smiling.”

I pursed my lips at that and looked down.

We were just schoolmates two years ago but we were introduced to each other by our mutual friends. It was just so weird how we became close after that. Frankie would always greet me whenever we bumped into each other in the hallway. There are times when he would try to start a conversation with me whenever we bumped into each other in the cafeteria. At first, I felt uncomfortable. I’m not good at socializing with others. I know that I’m not that friendly. Some were even intimidated to even approach me. But he’s different.

Everyone loves my smile. He did, too. But, he started to hate it.

My head snapped back at him again when he took off his varsity jacket and gave it to me.

“You know that it’s cold here. Wala ng araw kaya mas mahangin na. Baka lamigin ka,” aniya.

Tumango lang ako bago kinuha ang jacket niya at sinuot ito. The sweet smell made its way to my nose. The corner of my lips curved upward at the scent. It was the perfume I gave him! He doesn’t wear perfume that much but he preferred sweet ones so I bought him my favorite as a birthday gift last year. Naalala kong may isa rin siyang jacket na pinahiram sa akin at amoy ko iyong pambabae na pabango kaya halos hingin ko ‘yung jacket niya dahil lang sa amoy.

Frankie chuckled. “Stop sniffing it, Tiff. You’ll look like a pervert.”

My cheeks heated which made me look away. I cleared my throat and pouted. “It just smells good. Can’t I appreciate the smell anymore?”

He shrugged. “Whatever you say.”

I rolled my eyes at him and mimicked him. "Whatever you say."

He let out a laugh at what I did which made me pout.

When the clear sky we were staring at became a night sky, Frankie finally faced me with a serious look on his face.

“I can’t let you go back to your house with a heavy heart. So, do you need a shoulder to cry on?”