I look deep into his eyes. His deep grayish blue eyes. Even in the evening when the sunlight is starting to settle his eyes shine brightly. I get lost in his beautiful eyes. Maybe if it were him I wouldn't be like this. He already knows me and cares for me, but he's going to be the beta in command. It's never going to happen...no. I snap myself back to reality.

- Like you would know. – I say defensively and step away, turning my back to him.

- You're right. We've both neglected that part of our lives so far, but maybe is time to start and allow ourselves. – his voice taking a more serious tone. I turn around.

- Why the sudden change of heart? – I ask expectantly

- Well, it won't be long after your father and Convel step-down... finding someone's started to feel nice. – he responds. – I think... I'm ready for a relationship. – he finished.

- Really? Do you have anyone in mind? – I ask somewhat nervous.

- Yeah, you kind of know her. – he says a little shy. Could it be? Is he suggesting he likes me? My heart started pounding a little harder. Chill Nymeria, play it cool. I tell myself, controlling my nerves.

- I do? Who is it? – I ask trying my best not to sound nervous.

- She's here today. – he explains further, bringing my hope up. A part of me is feeling extremely relieved while the other is terrified and hesitant.

- Riley? Is that why she's here today? Are you two dating? – I'd be lying if I say I'm not dead worried as I say the words.

- What? No, we are just good friends. – he tells the truth and I feel relief wash through my body. I'm about to speak, but he says something. – It's Maya. –

And just like that, he killed my hopes. Of course, he wasn't referring to me. We've been friends all our lives. I've had a crush on him since I can remember, but the bond never developed. He's always been there for me, I love him so much. But I have to accept the fact that we won't be together...at least not in a romantic way.

- Maya? I thought that ship sailed years ago. – I responded sharply. He laughed a little.

- Me too, but I don't know... maybe I could try again. – he answered.

- Wait, so you are not dating? Why do you want to try it then? – I asked a bit confused. They didn't break up under bad circumstances, but I definitively thought that was it.

- Well, we've kind of been fake dating because... -

- Fake dating? – I interrupt him.

- Before you judge, listen. It was so domestics would leave her alone. – he explained.

- Okay? – that's got to be the lamest excuse.

- Either way, I'm starting to think that it might be a good idea. She's smart, strong, pretty, my parents like her, we get along... - he started explaining but a quickly cut him

- Get along? I can't remember a time when you were not bickering. – I contradict.

- We like bothering each other, it doesn't mean anything. – he says a little defensively.

- Okay, fine. How do you know she even likes you that way? – I ask a little harshly.

- Well, we did date for a while, and yeah, maybe we broke up. But I can still try and win her back. I don't see a reason not to try. – he says.

Because I like you, you idiot! Why can't you see that? To be honest, I've always been a little jealous of Maya. She's all that Caleb said, smart, cunning, beautiful, strong, and on top of it, they've dated before. Cal's right to try and find a mate like her, but he doesn't see I'm right here. Sure, she may be a healer, but I'm going to be the alpha. It's my fault, though. I should've said something years ago. Maybe he would have seen me as a romantic partner and the bond could've formed. I'm so stupid.